十四

First Blade

イントロアーク

ヒーラー

~

それは一目惚れでした

~

↪Haruki barely passed me.

When it came down to it, I couldn't fully break the boulder. I'm a child, of course I wouldn't be able to and I think Haruki knew that.

But I did punch a cracked hole in it which fractured my hand and required me to return to the Butterfly Mansion. So Haruki passed me just barely.

"They need to be more gentle with you." Haru scolded, wrapping my hand and my fingers separately.

"It's fine." I yawned. "It's necessary."

I knew that as harsh as some of the Hashira were at times, they were doing it to ensure I would survive. It was reassuring to know I had people looking out of e.

"You can still use this hand, but try not do things like training."

I sweat-dropped and avoided his stern gaze.

"Um . . . Sakonji is next so . . . probably?"

A swift thunk was delivered to my head and I whined.

"Hey! I don't make the rules!"

"You're still a kid Rumi, you need to be more careful." Haru scoled.

"I thought we agreed to call me (Y/n)." I grumbled.

"You're still the little Rumi we know. Just not so delicate now."

"Kosaki, you should be resting."

The said woman rolled her eyes at her husband as she came over to sit next to me..

"Kanae is napping." She explained once I noticed her empty arms.

"Also, when was I ever delicate?" I asked, frowning.

"Uh, you were nearly crying when you couldn't find Tadashi-"

"Shut up." I interrupted Haru.

"Don't be so embarrassed sweetie." Kosaki said, rubbing my head. "Although they're Hashira and they do a lot, I think they forget sometimes you're still a kid. It's okay to feel the way you feel."

I fell quiet.

I don't exactly have a lot of time. Sure almost twenty years seems like a lot of time, but eight months have already passed in the blink of an eye. In four, I'll be attending Final Selection, and then I'll be on my own. I'll have to find Tamayo or find the nearly extinct blue spider-lily and figure out how to use it. They won't just let me sit around with Tadashi for so many years to come, they'll expect results.

"What if I can't do it?" I whispered. I hadn't realized how difficult this was going to be. Tanjiro made it look so simple to just go along with the plan, but it was much harder in reality. My failure meant Tadashi's most likely death. This was a world where my death could be gruesome and painful. I needed to be careful. "What if I fail?"

Kosaki stroked my hair soothingly.

"You are a gift, sweetheart." She murmured. "You saved Yasaki, and did what you could to save Tadashi. And now you are putting your life on the line to save him even more. He cannot, and will not, fault you if you cannot do it. But you have skill and talent, and I see the future in you already."

My eyes watered and the tears started to pour, to my mortification.

"Ugh, look what you did. My face is leaking." I said, muffling my words into her chest as she laughed gently.

"Rumi, you'll be okay." Haru said, rubbing my back.

I knew he was wrong. I don't know how, but I just knew.

So I buried myself into their arms, and finally let myself cry.

~

"It's time to go."

I pouted at Tadashi who was waiting at the the arch gate with the other Hashira.

"Already? But I didn't get to go see Kagaya!"

"They're not here anyway." Jigoro said. "So don't worry about it.

"Do you all not have missions?" I asked, looking at them all. "Why are you all here?"

"We're always supposed to regroup when you head to the next Hashira." Haruki explained. "The only reason you didn't the first time was because we wanted to see how you would fare on your own. And you ran into Upper Moon Two. So we're not doing that again."

"Oh. So. For sure with Sakonji this time, right?"

Sakonju nodded and Yasu grunted.

"I'll come to pick you up from his estate when your training is complete. I'll be taking you to Final Selection." He said. "If you pass us both."

"I'll pass." I said confidently.

I knew what to expect for Urokodaki. I'd watched his training of Tanjiro very closely. Sakonji would be a breeze. It was Yasu Ushijima that I was worried about. As the current Wind Hashira, they have a reputation of being . . . aggressive.

"That's the spirit!" Shinjuro said, patting my back.

"Don't leave your bedding out." Haruki muttered to Sakonji.

"You have no one to blame but yourself." I announced.

I glanced over at the trees briefly, catching the outline of Yoriichi who was waiting patiently for me.

"Just be glad I was clean." I said, frowning at the Hashira.

"You're disrespecting a Hashira, you know." Haruki said dangerously.

I pointed to my blank face.

"Does it look like I care?"

"Why you-"

Sakonji scooped me up before Haruki could grab me and started off.

"I'll see you in two months, Ushijima." Sakonji said.

"I'll see you later!" I called, waving over Urokodaki's shoulder.

Jigoro and Shinjuro were waving with bright smiles, and Haruki was irking as he glared at me, but Yasu gave me a nod in return.

Progress!

"Can I see your face?" I asked, turning back to Sakonji.

"No."

"But whyyyyy?" I whined, wiggling in his arms. "I wanna know if you're really as ugly as you think you are, or if you're just devilishly handsome and don't want any demons to fall for you."

"What?" Sakonji asked, and I had the distinct feeling he was sweat-dropping.

I poked at it.

"Come on. Lemme see."

"No."

"Just a peek?"

"No."

"Fine. Then I'm sleeping in your bed."

"Go ahead."

" . . . . "

That was not the reaction I was expecting. Urokodaki is a very patient man, so I shouldn't be surprised.

"Okay." I said. "I'll take your bed then."

⭐︎★⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼✶★✶⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼★⭐︎

フラッシュバック

読んでくれてありがとう!

あなたはこれが素晴らしい話であると感じた場合は、コメントし、他の人と共有!

さよなら!