𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬

𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠:  Hinting at attempted suicide. For those who read the books, you know. If you're uncomfortable with it please skip this chapter. It's basically just Filomena coming to terms with the fact she has to go back into the maze even though some people don't want her to. 

𝐅𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐚'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

𝐀𝐋𝐁𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐀  were sitting in silence having not uttered a word to one another since they bid Minho goodbye after talking about what tomorrow would bring. Even without having to voice their reflections, they both still knew what the other was thinking and the second-in-command wasn't happy.

After today's messy events with Ben and the Changing, many of the Gladers had been restless when they realized that there weren't many Runners left and those who were still there were less content and determined to go into the Maze. Plus Alby didn't want to sacrifice any more Runners who weren't ready and Filomena knew what that meant for her. She was going back into the Maze, the thing that had taken many friends from her and severely injured another. The Maze she swore she would never go back into unless completely necessary, and at this moment, it was necessary. And so the two were sitting in silence, one fuming and another frustrated.

"Phil please just listen to my justifications," Alby finally spoke up. Filomena didn't respond and instead just stared at the flickering fire that a couple of Gladers were slipping around in the comfortable warmth it provided. "If we go into the Maze we could find the exit and save so many people's lives."

"But we're safe within the Glade," Filomena argued as she fiddled with the bracelets on her left wrist. "Why would we risk people's lives when we could just live here ."

Alby groaned in annoyance. "We can't stay here forever and you know it. I know you want to find out who is behind this and the only way to do that is to escape. The Box isn't going to give us any more answers."

There was a moment of silence before Filomena whispered, "I just don't know if I can handle going back in there." 

"I know," Alby said, speaking in the same tone the red-haired teen had. "I don't want to force you to do this. It's just that you know the Maze better than anyone else. You know how to survive it and you know how to keep everyone with you safe. With Ben and everything, everyone has been so restless, I just know you'll be a symbol of hope if you go back into the Maze," Alby sighed as he placed a hand over his face and rubbed his eyes, exhaustion settling over him. "Don't feel that everyone is counting on you, I wasn't trying to phrase it like that, but maybe you'll raise everyone up and so they feel more determined," Silence settled over the two and so Alby stood up before squeezing Filomena's shoulder affectionately. "Just please think about it."

Before Alby could step away from the red-haired girl she spoke up, "Okay, I'll do it."
The dark-haired boy turned to Filomena, a soft smile on his face that rarely ever made an appearance. "Thank you, Phil, really."

"We can go tomorrow," Filomena suddenly declared. "As soon as possible."

"Wha-no," Alby interrupted. "Just 'cause I said we needed you in the Maze, doesn't mean you have to get started as soon as possible."

"Weren't you the one who said we needed to save everyone before anything gets worse?" Filomena asked, a gentle smirk on her lips. "I'm prepared, Alby. The words just hadn't sunk in until now."

"Ok, I'll talk with Minho but I'm sure he'll be on board with it," Alby said, nodding as he turned away. "Night Phil."

Filomena turned to face the fire again, thoughts racing through her mind. She knew Minho and Newt weren't going to take the news well. Filomena had taught Minho all the tips and tricks she had learned from her time in the Maze as Keeper and had helped lead other Runners as well but the two had a special connection which led to neither one wanting the other in danger. As for Newt, during his days as a Runner under Filomena, the two already had a close bond so when he jumped off the Maze wall and injured himself so badly, the girl resigned and became a Medjack so she could look after him. The red-haired girl knew that the two were so delighted that she wasn't putting herself in danger every day but now she was going back in and knew that they were going to try to talk her out of it.