𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐀 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐘 the unconscious girl over to the Medjack's hut, still clutching the note she had arrived with, in her hand. Jeff and the red-haired teen stood around the new Greenie, checking her health and ignoring Alby's pained whimpering. The first-in-command was tied to a bed, a few ways away from the unconscious girl, and was making animalistic noises as the Changing slowly took over his body. Filomena had to keep ignoring Alby whenever he growled or hissed at them, unable to look at her closest and oldest friend, suffering and becoming something he wasn't.

At the sound of footsteps, Filomena looked up from her spot beside Jeff, Clint and the girl lying on a cot to see Newt, Minho and Thomas walking towards them.

"Jeff, Flossie, what's going on?" Newt asked as the three boys came to a stop beside the girl's bed. "What's the matter with her? Why is she unconscious?"

"Hey man," Jeff replied. "I got my job the same way you did."

"What he means," Filomena shot the boy beside her a look but he just gave her a cheeky smile back. "Is that she's probably either shocked into unconscious or just exhausted from something." The red-haired teen noticed Thomas staring at the girl, a faraway look in his eyes.

Newt turned to look at the brunet and noticed what he was looking at as well as he asked, "Well, do you recognize her?"

"No," Thomas muttered, glancing at the red-haired girl before looking back at the Greenie. "Do you?"

Filomena took a breath as she shook her head. "No."

"Really," The blond sighed. "Because she seemed to recognise you two."

Thomas was silent for a moment, processing Newt's words before he looked up at Filomena expectantly. "What about the note?" Filomena subconsciously fiddled with the small piece of paper in her hand, careful not to tear the delicate material.

"Yeah, we'll worry about the note later," Newt said dismissively.

"I think you should worry about it now," Thomas argued back.

Newt, Filomena and Minho all glanced at the brunet uncertainly. "We've got enough to deal with at the moment."

"He's right, Newt," Jeff spoke up softly. "If the Box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?"

Newt wet his dry and cracked lips with his tongue, a harsh, unnatural smile gracing his features. "No one said that," The blond replied as he glanced between the two Medjacks. "Let's not jump to any conclusions. We'll just...we'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody's gotta have some answers around here."

"Okay," Thomas muttered, nodding before turning around and walking out of the hut.

"And where are you going?" Newt asked.

"Back into the Maze," Thomas called back to the others. Minho and Filomena made eye contact, the latter rolling her eyes as the two raced out to chase after the brunet.

"Hey," Minho called after Thomas as he and the red-haired teen ran after him.

"Thomas," Filomena added when the said teen ignored them.

"Hey Thomas, hey, hey," Minho tried again as he and Filomena both placed a hand on Thomas' chest, stopping him in place. "Come on. What is it with you?"

"A death wish," Filomena commented, a lazy smile on her lips.

Thomas' eyes darted between the two teens in front of him, his face devoid of any emotion. "You just got out and now you want back in?" Minho asked, incredulously.

The brunet sighed before saying, "Newt said that no one's ever seen a Griever and lived to tell about it, right?" Filomena nodded as she listened, fiddling with the bracelets on her wrist, mentally taking note of the missing yellow one. "And, Filomena, Minho, now we have one. You're telling me you're not even a little bit curious."

The smile slipped from Filomena's lips as she pondered what Thomas had said. Earlier she had defended him, saying that having a dead Griever they could study, could potentially set them free, and she wasn't going to go back on her words. But she felt she would stick by whatever Minho thought, considering he was the Keeper and if she was now a part of the Runners again, she had to do what he thought was best.

"Not really, no," Minho replied as he glanced at the red-haired teen beside him.

Thomas stared at the two teens for a moment before trying to continue on to the entrance of the Maze but the two teens placed a hand on his chest again, stopping him.

"So what's the plan then?" Filomena asked.

"You gonna go out and dissect that thing all by yourself?" Minho finished.

"I will if I have to," Thomas immediately replied. "Have the other Runners left yet?"

Minho stared at Thomas for a moment before turning away from the two teens beside him. "The other Runners quit this morning." Filomena gritted her teeth.

As much as she wanted to yell at the others, she couldn't blame them, especially when she herself had sworn she would never set foot in the Maze again and yet here she was after spending a night past the walls. The red-haired teen turned around to see that Minho was looking at the ex-Runners who were huddled together, talking with Gally.

"After Alby got stung, they're not in a hurry to get back out there." Minho sighed as he watched one of the boys shake Gally's hand.

"Why are you?" Filomena asked as she turned back to the two boys.

Thomas was quiet for a moment as he swallowed. "I think it's time we find out what we're really up against."

"All right," Minho nodded. "But you're not going back out there alone."

Filomena bit her tongue to stop a wide grin spreading across her lips. "Newt's gonna be mad," Thomas and Minho turned to look at the girl expectantly. "Meet us in the woods in half an hour." And that sealed the deal.

A/N

So I finished adding all the chapters I have edited and written onto here so there will be slower updates from now on.

<3

EDITED: TBA

➸ kelsii.exe has logged out