𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐳𝐞

𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐬' 𝐏𝐎𝐕

𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐓 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐊𝐄 from his dream and opened his bleary eyes to see that the day had arrived. He slowly swung his body around so that he was sitting in his hammock, facing the East Maze wall. He could feel his heart bang against his chest but it started to slow down as he concentrated on his breathing. Thomas was unsure what any part of his dream meant and if it was a memory or just something his tired mind had made up. The brunet groaned as he shifted on the spot, realizing his muscles ached from yesterday's fight with Ben. As he moved he noticed that people were standing in front of the entrance to the Maze; Alby, Minho, Filomena and Newt. The latter said something to the three before they turned and ran off into the Maze, leaving the blond teen behind. Thomas was confused, he knew that Alby and Filomena weren't Runners, so why were they heading into the Maze? It must've been serious if they were sending the first and second-in-command.

。・:*:・゚★,‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

"All right but why would Filomena and Alby go into the Maze?" Thomas questioned allowed. The brunet was sat beside Chuck who had a small knife in his hand and was messing with a piece of wood. Newt and Zart stood in front of the two, hacking at the wood of a tree with machetes clutched in their hands. Thomas was meant to be helping them but he was too busy asking questions. "I mean they're not Runners."

"Things are different now," Newt explained, glancing at Thomas as he stopped what he was doing. "They went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown," Thomas noted that the blond's voice was dull and emotionless and he figured it had something to do with the fact that all three of his best friends were in the Maze looking for something that could kill them. "Look are you gonna help?"

Thomas ignored Newt's question. "So, they're gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?" The brunet asked incredulously.

"They both know what they're doing, alright?" Newt defended, pointing his weapon at Thomas. "And they both know better than us."

Thomas was confused. "What does that mean?"

Newt paused before responding. "All right, it's like you've heard, yeah?" Newt started walking towards Thomas as he spoke. "Every month, the Box sends up a new arrival. But someone has to be the first, right? Someone had to have spent a whole month in the Glade alone. And that was Alby," The blond teen stepped back to the wood and started hacking at it again. "I mean, it can't of been easy. Then Flossie, Filomena, was the second one up and the two of them entered the Maze a lot for that second month. The two of them probably can handle the Maze better than anyone," Newt paused what he was doing again. 

"You know, everyone remembers their name after a couple of days, max, but for Flossie, it took her two years. Plus she's the only girl," Newt turned back to the wood. "But when those other boys started coming up, one after the other, they saw the truth. And they learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together." Newt finished as he started hitting the bottom of the wood log. Thomas paused for a moment, thoughts and questions swirling around his mind before he got up, his own machete in his hand, and started helping Newt and Zart. "Yeah," Newt commented a lazy smirk on his face, obviously happy for the extra help. "There you go Greenie."

As the three hacked at the thick roots of the tree, a low rumble of what sounded like thunder echoed through the air and a cold breeze of wind blew straight at Thomas, making him look up in alarm, an unsettling feeling filling him.

。・:*:・゚★,‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

As the rain started pouring down faster and thicker, the Gladers huddled together under any sort of shelter they could find, some in Homestead and others in the Kitchens. Thomas had his arms wrapped around a thin tree as he leant on it, thinking about how the group of three were doing in the Maze with the downpour. The Maze walls were still open as they stared at it, expecting the three teens to race out, all exhausted from the rain yet very much alive, however, they were nowhere to be seen.