Fourteen

Chloe knew how things were. She knew it wasn't easy. She knew how she was trying to focus on Belle. And what was best for her.

Belle was getting stronger. She knew how she had recovered from the crash but she knew it was not easy.

She knew that none of it was easy at all. She knew that Max wasn't going to back off forever.

Chloe sat in the NICU. She looked to see Brooke as she walked in. "Oh hi."

Brooke smiled as she looked to her. "Hey I wanted to see how the little madam is?" She asked.

Chloe looked to her and smiled. "She's getting there. She's strong," she said.

Brooke looked to her and smiled. "She takes after her mum. How are you doing. You're my sister. I love you. But I know it hasn't been easy."

"I am getting there. It's not easy," Chloe said.

Brooke looked to her and smiled. "I know have you seen Max?"

"No. I asked him to leave me alone. It's a mess. I know I need to speak to him. But a lot happened. And I feel guilty about what I did to you."

"I'm not exactly innocent. Things happen for a reason. And the reason is this one. I am with Tom. I am happy. And despite it all,
Max is a good man. And he will step up," Brooke said as Chloe looked to her and smiled.

Chloe knew how none of it was easy.

****

Chloe looked to see Max as he walked in and smiled. "Thanks for calling. I know how things have been," he said.

Chloe nodded as she looked to him and smiled. "It's okay. I just needed time to get my head around it. Do you want to see her?" She asked.

Max looked to her and smiled. "I'd like that," he said as she smiled.

She took him over to the incubator. "She's strong. She's a bit underweight as she was early. And her lungs need some work. But she's good. She's strong. She looked like you," Chloe said.

Max placed his hand in and took her small hand with his finger as Chloe looked as his face lit up.

"She's all you. She's beautiful," Max said as he looked to Chloe as the two of them held a look as Chloe smiled.

Chloe knew that she was trying. She was trying to somehow do what was best for Belle.

****

Chloe knew that she was thinking over things. She looked to Belle and smiled. She knew how Belle was her world. And how she wanted her to get better. She knew how it wasn't easy but she knew that it never was.

Chloe knew that she was giving Max a chance to be a father. She knew that she was doing it for Belle. She knew how she wanted to do the right thing.

Chloe knew how it wasn't easy for them with what had happened with her and Max. But she knew how it wasn't about them.

She knew it was about Belle. And what was best for her. But could Max and Chloe make it work?