Chapter 34 - Arrogance's Fool

"It was a relic, that had been crafted by a long-deceased creator. They somehow manage to come up with a way to form it." Anastasia said. "Apparently, it was useful back then, and they were most honorable. Due to that." She said as she flipped the pages of the old tome.

"Well, you know, creators are always appreciated the most. Even if they weren't so needed often as sorcerers and healers. Right, Felicia?" Sylvia teased, poking out her elbow at the redhead creator.

In return, Felicia only rolled her golden eyes. 'I am more useful than you are.' She rummaged in her mind.

"The relic was perfectly spherical in shape, with a unique characteristic that made it stand out from anything else. One would notice that the inside of the sphere was divided into two distinct parts, one fatal black and the other celestial white. The two colors never combined or blended, creating an intriguing visual contrast that resembled an ocean of ink and an ocean of milk side by side. Despite being so different, the two colors perfectly coexisted within the sphere, making it a fascinating object to observe and study."

"Three golden rings surround the orb, each one perfectly aligned horizontally. The rings' sphere could rotate on its own axis, particularly when it was in close proximity to a pulsating dark energy source. The object had a similarity of the planet Saturn, despite the larger size compared to an average person's palm, it was very lightweight."

As Anastasia continued reading the text out loud, the pink-haired sage and the redheaded creator leaned in, eager to absorb every detail. Sylvia seemed to hang on to every word, nodding occasionally in agreement or contemplation. Felicia, on the other hand never wanted to know, but a small form of knowledge was not harmful to her.

Her mind could not help but be troubled by what she heard. She knew that the relic had the power to steal her dark abilities, abilities that she had worked hard to handle, and that made her feel powerful. She had no intention of letting go of that power, and the thought of it being taken away from her made her feel uneasy. The artifact was a source of the enemy for Felicia, and she was not willing to let it be drained away.

"But... It was 40 millenniums ago, and we don't know where the relic is." Anastasia spoke, her fox ears perked up as closed the tome.

Sylvia turned her head to Felicia, who seemed disturbed. "And here I'm wondering why you can manifest that on your own." Sylvia asserted.

"I'm strong, that's why." She shrugged.

"Couldn't you try to remake it? In your version?" She said, her eyes glistened with hope.

Felicia's body tensed at the question, she slowly glanced at Sylvia. Her mind filled with irritation mixed with anxiety as the CEO asked the inquiry. Her chest slowly rose as she took a deep breath, exhaling it aloud.

"No, I can't master something so complex yet." In an orotund voice, she answered, layered it with a lie.

"But you can create a realm, how can a relic be harder than that?-"

"I said I can't." Her voice was even firm, tinted with fierce.

Anastasia looked at Sylvia, while she returned the same confused look. Anastasia's fluffy fox tail started to wag slower. She placed the ancient book near the table, she sensed something dreadful. As if the dreadful threat was on Felicia's back, creeping up to demolish them both.

Felicia knew she had to come up with a reason to cover up her falsehood, and none came up on the spot. She decided to stay quiet even if it was something quite vulnerable for her to do, but it was better than divulging them into a flimsy mendacious statement.

"Well, I guess I have to order people to start searching for it," Sylvia suggested. She sat on the chair, smoothing her black dress. Anastasia collected the items that were on the floor due to Felica's outburst and placed them neatly on Sylvia's desk.

'Tch, enough already about the relic.' Felicia criticized in her mind, beginning to get more threatened by her suggestion and her eagerness for the relic. 'I didn't come here for this.' She rolled her eyes away.

"But I am not sure if the relic will still be functioning as it is supposed to. Judging by how old it was, it could be a chance that it is broken or malfunctioning. In other words, it could be...outdated." Anastasia said, looking at Sylvia who already holding the handset of her antic telephone, pressing buttons on the dial pad.

"So, it would be no use if you sent your men out to seek it." The creator said, folding her arms to her broad chest as she grinned.

"But maybe Felicia could revamp it? Renew it like it was just made." Anastasia's suggested. Behind her lifeless grey eye, hope still resided within her.

Her grinned mouth dropped, Felicia became more annoyed and enraged. She clicked her tongue, a loud pop filled in the present. Both of them seemed to always come up with a solution or a solid suggestion for the plan, it bothered Felicia to the core. She could feel the dark emphasis, she could feel its ominous presence whispering sinister words in her ear, trying to provoke her mind. It was almost as if the force was trying to manipulate her into making the wrong decisions.

"No." She said, her arms moved to her side. Her fists clenched tightly, a spark lit up from it in silence without the two immortals in front of her knowing.

"What? Why?" Sylvia asked, placing back the telephone and looking confusingly at Felicia.

In the midst of a solemn silence, the sage and the fox lady fidgeted restlessly, their impatience palpable. Felicia averted her gaze, her eyes quickly scanning the office's interior, taking in the dimly lit room and the faint scent of aged paper.

"I am keeping, it." Felicia declared.

Both of their eyes widened, their body stiffened. The tension between the creator and the sage was the most severe. Felicia locked eyes with her, a determined look on her face, indicating that she wouldn't waver in her decision. The pink sage, on the other hand, looked a bit disturbed. She darted her head to Anastasia.

"I may be wrong, I'll try to go fetch more books about the relic," Anastasia said before she vanished away with a trace of sparkling grey dust.

Resuming her attention to the creator, Sylvia tried to negotiate. "Felicity, are you alright? I knew it may seem like-"

"Enough, Sylvia." Her eyebrows snapped, her fiery eyes crackling sparks. "I am keeping this power, you will never take it away from me." She gritted her teeth, her crooked fangs pointed out, finally showing after sulking behind her lips.

Sylvia's silence was broken by a deep sigh, as if was reminiscent of the aftermath of a regretful decision she was about to make.

Felicia, sensing the threat that was approaching by her instinct, decided to leave. "I think I'm done here." She articulated. With each step towards the large door, the sound of her shoes hitting the tiles reverberated through the quiet office.

"Wait! Felicity!" Sylvia pushed herself from the cushy chair, standing with her fists clenched. The infinity symbol under her left eye brightened in a pinkish glow, her eyes pulsating its heterochromia colors.

Feeling slightly irritated by this interruption, Felicia halted abruptly, turning her head towards the side, looking over her shoulders. "What now?" She grunted.

"Do you know how to break the curse?" She stammered.

Felicia didn't respond, she let the sage answer her own question. The air in the room was heavy and filled with a tension so thick it seemed to distort the very fabric of space and time. The walls seemed to pulse as if they were alive and breathing. Every sound was amplified, every movement was amplified, and the smallest of gestures carried a weight that threatened to explode into something much larger.

"You need to make her undo it on her own." She breathed.

"Great." The creator replied, beginning to resume her walk.

Sylvia felt a heavy sense of foreboding emanating from Felicia, her thoughts drifting toward the unsettling scenarios that the creator could potentially unleash. "What...what are you planning to do Felicia?" She stuttered, her arm drawn forward as if to capture the creator in front of her but she seemed could not. Not alone.

"I'll force her to undo it."

Sylvia gasped loudly. "And what next?" She shivered.

"I'll kill her myself." She glanced at the sage, with her glowing crimson eyes.