Awakening.

Harold gasped, as did Britney.

Looking around them, they noticed that they were still inside the SUV.

However, it was the sudden shift of the vehicle that startled him.

He could hear what sounded like a bear.

Forcing himself to calm down, he took stock.

Britney sat there, waiting.

"Britney, I love you, sweetie. Know that I always will, baby."

"Hush, now. We're not dead yet and I don't plan to be anytime soon. I love you too, but we've been through a lot together and, God willing, we will survive this too!"

Her words soothed him and he took her hand in his.

"Yes, baby." He said kissing her.

Pulling the vehicle escape tool from his pocket, he broke the window out and opened the door.

After helping Britney out, he looked around.

The lights were barely illuminated.

As they slowly grew in intensity, they went dim again.

What they didn't know was that time kept fluctuating as the stasis fields only slowed down what was inside.

The unit's power was failing.

............

That was my mom and dad, eighteen years ago, today.

My dad, Harold, had been a United States Marine Master Chief before his retirement.

He knew how to survive in nearly any climate.

What he didn't know, until much later aside from Mom being pregnant, was that he'd been placed in a stasis chamber and that seven thousand years had passed.

So far, we haven't seen any indication of other people, and the old unit's power pack was still active enough to help him in the onset.

The gas and engine oil from the SUV were used to run the forced entry saw so that they could build a shelter.

Dad told me about the sight he saw when they first exited.

The chamber had a low power unlock failsafe or they would have died in it.

There was a pawprint so big that the SUV could have parked in the indentation of the main pad.

Judging its shape, Dad said that it was a bear.

He said that bears were never that big before and it had to be as big as a building to leave a print that large.

34 feet wide.

He'd built their home in the tree near the chamber and that was difficult enough.

It was some kind of pine tree, but it was 400 feet across at the base at twenty feet above the root spread, it was barely less than 386 feet across.

He'd built the house in a knot hole to protect it from falling cones in autumn.

They used to wake me up at night.

It sounded like thunder as they fell and hit the ground.

We used the cone scales for firewood and one would last a few weeks after we split it into small enough parts.

Dad taught me flint knapping and how to make knives and other tools.

He also gave me a pistol and one of the shotguns from the SUV.

Winds Of Fate and Change. जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें