Perigrina "Perina" Windward.

"Alright, son. I'll see you when you return and, Perina?" Dad called over the radio.

"Yes sir!" She flinched.

"On my son's word. I will place my trust in you to see to his safe return." He said.

"Of course." She cooed with a sense of duty and purpose.

I clipped the radio to my vest and asked Perina to hand me my shotgun, which she did without hesitation.

I slung it over my back and she took my hand, gently, with hers and she helped me up.

"Okay, Carl. I'm not accustomed to carrying someone, so, I don't know any other way than with my talons.

Any ideas?" She asked in chagrin.

"Will you spread your wings?" I asked.

"Of course!" She happily replied, raising them up and then down and out straight.

I felt her back and pressed. She felt soft and comfortable to me, however...

"May I try sitting on your back?"

"Um, C-C-Carl!" She stuttered, shivering.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Um... It's nhuh! Nothing." She said, seemingly out of breath. Her wings were on the ground, though.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"I will be. Nothing to be concerned about. Go ahead and climb up." She said, shaking her feathers out and exhaling.

I did as she said and she asked if I was ready.

"Yes ma'am," I replied, feeling a bit out of place.

She grabbed my calves with her hands, being careful not to claw me, and launched off into the air.

"Which way!?" She shouted.

I pointed in the direction and she laughed.

"Bear country? It's a wonder that I was able to take you down at all if you survive there!

Hold my shoulders and lean forward, I think it'll help my balance!" She shouted and I did so.

She suddenly banked hard right and, as we headed toward the forest, the air suddenly felt warmer.

Perina began circling.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"To go higher. It takes less energy to ride the thermals up than flapping for altitude." She shouted, happily.

Once we were just below the clouds, she headed in the direction I'd indicated.

"Okay. I see something silver on the ground." She said after a few minutes.

I looked, but I couldn't see anything except trees in the haze and distance.

I knew what it was, though.

"You see the end that's open, right?" I asked.

"Yes." She reported.

"It's the first tree directly in front of that end.

Look for a knot hole about 150 feet up." I said, relief washing over me.

"You don't have wings, why off of the ground? Also, what are feet in that sense?" She asked, confused.

"Um... how do you measure length?" I asked, trying to be polite.

"Oh, I don't..." She replied without care.

I looked at her wing and judged it to be about twelve feet long.

"Okay, it's about 11½ times the length of one of your wings from the ground."

"I see it! That's brilliant. How did you do that?" She asked happily astonished.

"I'll teach you." I laughed.

"Really?" She seemed excited.

"Absolutely. It's only my parents and I." I said, not even thinking.

"What!? No friends?" She turned her head to look at me.

"No," I said, sadly.

"Well, that changes today!" She curtly nodded on the last syllable.

"Really? You'll be my friend?" I asked.

"Yes, Carl. Happily. My friends have started territories of their own, so I don't see them anymore." She said.

"Why do you sound happy about that?" I demanded, unable to comprehend the injustice of ostracized friends.

"Because, Carl, they're raising their own families and are happy. Friends just aren't needed."

I felt moisture hit my hand and I hooked my arms under her wings and hugged her.

"I'll always need a friend."

"That's good because I can't seem to find a worthwhile mate, anyway. Friends for life?"

"To death and you've no need to cry."

"Thank you." She said, letting go of my left leg and placing her hand on my right hand.

"You're welcome," I said.