Homecoming.

As we powered through the night sky, I sent a message to Perina through the headgear.

"Are your muscles truly that strong?" I sent.

"Oh, yes. Many have crippled theirselves from ever flying
because our muscles are too strong for our skeletons to handle.

Despite that, no one has ever sought a medicine to reduce strength." She said.

"So, you live with this constantly?" I asked.

"No. After about 40 years or so, our bones do become strong enough to handle general movement and flight with zero risk of fractures.

Those of us who train and hone our bodies have phenomenally stronger bones.

It takes years to get to that point, though." She said.

"You're stronger than I am, though.

Who was the strongest?" I asked.

"Hmm. It's hard to say because there weren't any strength records taken.

Strength is revered, not measured." She replied.

"Are you comfortable? I know that we're going 20% below the maximum safe speed but, do you need me to slow down?"

"No. I'm fine. I see land ahead. We can stop and rest there."

"You're tired. I knew it."

"I am ashamed to admit it but, yes."

"Never be ashamed. I love you and want to take care of you.

We're supposed to look after each other's health.

I can't do that unless you tell me what you need." I replied, resting my feet on her wings to support them.

"Thank you. I won't allow my pride to ruin me."

"Good. That's all I can ask."

I let off of the acceleration and she slowly spread her wings as we lost speed.

We came to land on a high plateau.

When we settled our things, I went and gathered what I could to build a simple shelter.

Fortunately, as cold as it was, there wasn't even a slight breeze.

I laid down on my blanket and she laid on top of me.

As we drifted off to sleep, I murmured.

"You'll be a wonderful mother."

She shifted her head and looked down at me but, I'd already fallen asleep.

The next morning I awoke to loud shuffling and saw Perina fending off a group of... humans!?

I grabbed my shotgun and ran to position myself in front of her.

"Who are you!?" I shouted.

"Was this bird not attacking you?"

"Perina, take wing, now!" I ordered.

"No need to tell me twice!" She spat, angrily beating her wings.

I knew that she wasn't angry with me, but it still stung to hear her so enraged.

"It talked! Bring it down!" One of the men shouted and I shot him, then shot another who was swinging a sling.

The remaining men stared at me.

"You have a real shotgun!? How?"

"Perina is my wife and you attacked her! I won't have it! Leave! Now!" I shouted, shooting at their feet.