Chapter Fifty-One

The woodland winds we're getting colder as the moon drew higher into the sky. They could hear the far off cries and grunts of strange creatures, deep in the night. Sometimes even Wendy would pause the group at the sound of a deep-gutted animal noise before quietly ushering them to move faster. Once after a few long moments of silence, nothing but the sound of their footsteps and the light of the near-full moon to guide them, they heard a deafening scream from what sounded like a few miles away. It sounded like a woman being attacked, which made Y/n jump.

"What was that?" Y/n would ask.

"Shhhh... not so loud..." Wendy immediately hushed her.

"Was that a person? It sounded like she needed help." She whispered back to her.

"What... you've never heard a Penanggalan scream before? What kind of Knight are you...?" She told her with an annoyed stare before turning and moving forward. Y/n stared at the back of her head as they boys passed her.

"Damien... what's a penanggalan?" Y/n questioned him.

"It's the floating head of a woman with its organs dangling out behind it. It flies around looking for blood." He whispered to her, seemingly unfazed. Pip was just as alarmed by his description.

"What?! I didn't know that kind of freaky shit was out here..." She whisper yelled.

"Will you guys be quiet?! You're going to attract it right to us!" Wendy turned to them with a voice so soft you could barely hear her.

"M-maybe we should light a torch?" Pip quietly suggested.

"That's stupid. That'll attract it right to us even faster," Wendy said, "Now come on... we're almost there." She rolled her eyes, feeling like she was letting a bunch of amateurs follow her to her secret hiding spot. They continued walking, tensing up at the sound of the Penangglan's screams which sounded just slightly closer this time.

"Here we are..." Wendy stopped in front of some random section of the forest near a cliff side. Birds flew away from the trees into the mouth of the small ravine. The herd the sound of water falling from the edge of a small creek.

"What do you mean... there's nothing here..." Y/n said to the Huntress as she pulled a small emerald amulet out from under her shirt.  She turned to Y/n and took in a deep breath.

"I've never let outsiders into my hut..." She sighed, gazing down at the shimmering green emerald in her palm, "You're royalty, right? You said you married the princess?"

"Yes..." Y/n answered.

"Then you must make a Royal promise to me... that you three will never let anyone else from the Elven Kingdom know where this place is... I'm risking a lot even showing it to you... let alone bringing you inside." Y/n looked past her at the empty array of forest and the void cliff side. Whatever she was showing her, it didn't seem like much anyways.

"Wendy, you have my word." She told her before kneeling down with the tip of her sword digging into the ground, "I want nothing but your help... if you can do that for me, I'm obligated to help you by keeping this place private. Even if the King threatens to hang me..."

"Wendy stared at her reluctantly, and looked back at the two boys. Pip smiled and followed Y/n's kneeling. Damien rolled his eyes and dropped down to one knee as well.

"I really have no reason to help the king find you. He's an asshole to me, too. And Pip just does whatever I tell him." Damien said, bowing his head to her.

"Okay..." Wendy said, accepting their promise. The three of them stood back up and stared at her as she continued to fiddle with the emerald.

"Well then..." she held out her hand. Y/n took it and stared at her with confusion. Wendy looked at the boys. Pip gazed over at Damien and they began holding hands as well. He then grabbed ahold of Y/n's wrist as she gripped her sword.