| 17 |

After the terrifying revelation that the alpha wasn't trying to kill Oliver but wanted Scott to do it himself, the Pérez boy had no problem with the fact that he once again found himself in the middle of the preserve in the middle of the night, blindly following after Stiles as he led them further and further away from the jeep.

"Where are we going?" Scott asked, sharing a concerned look with Oliver.

"You'll see," Stiles replied, throwing them a mischievous smirk over his shoulder as he shuffled past a tall metal fence clearly put in place to keep teens like themselves away.

Scott stared at the fence as he and Oliver followed. "'Cause we really shouldn't be out here. My mom is in a constant state of freak-out from what happened at the school." he told them, making Stiles scoff condescendingly.

"Well, your mom isn't the Sheriff, okay? There's no comparison, trust me."

Oliver raised his eyebrows. "Try having Sofía as a parental figure. She's baking a lot as a hobby until she's allowed to return to work and now our kitchen is covered in frosting and cupcake batter. And Gabriela is totally freaking out as well, shouting that she will love me even if I die every time I leave her sight." he shuddered.

Stiles made a face. "Dude, why are you complaining about the baking? Free cupcakes!" he exclaimed incredulously.

Oliver smiled sarcastically. "Stiles, Sofía can't bake. Our kitchen is covered in frosting and cupcake batter that Lottie won't step within a meter of." he explained, making the Stilinski boy grimace.

"Yikes."

Scott sighed, interrupting their conversation. "Can you at least just tell me what we're doing out here?"

Stiles nodded enthusiastically. "Yes! When your best friend gets dumped--" he began, immediately getting interrupted by Scott.

"--I didn't get dumped!" he exclaimed, scratching the back of his neck. "We're taking a break," he emphasized, this time in a lower voice.

Oliver raised his eyebrows, sharing an unconvinced look with Stiles. "Is Allison aware of your break? 'Cause you're acting pretty broken up..." he trailed off when Scott sent him an unappreciative look. "But then again, what do I know? Heh. I've never been in a relationship..." he laughed awkwardly as Stiles spoke again to relieve the tension.

"All right, well, when your best friend gets told by his girlfriend that they're taking a break..." he spun around on his heels with a huge grin practically etched onto his face, holding a bottle of Jack Daniels high into the air. "You get your best friend drunk."

🐺

Slamming the now half-empty bottle of Jack down on the stone ground beneath them, Stiles let out an obviously drunken exhale, wearing a lopsided smile as he stared at the starlit sky above. He leaned back against the rock Scott sat upon, slurring his words as he spoke complete nonsense that was intended to make his friend feel better.

"Dude, you know... she's just one... one girl. You know, there are so many... there are so many other girls in the sea..." he sighed in contentment.

Oliver who sat a few paces away from them both, huddling next to a steel trashcan they'd lit a fire inside off to keep warm in the cold autumn night, furrowed his eyebrows. "Why would there be girls in the sea? That's crazy." he sang in a falsetto voice, appearing to be just as drunk as Stiles. 

Scott rolled his eyes. "Fish in the sea." he corrected irritably, elaborating when his friends shared a confused look. "The saying is 'Fish in the Sea', not 'Girls in the Sea'." he explained, making Stiles let out drunken giggles.