| 29 |

Oliver had the biggest grin ever stretched out on his face as he sat in his bed, propped up by his pillows and with his phone pressed against his ear. Lottie placed herself in his lap a while ago and he petted her head absentmindedly. She licked his hand every time he stopped and whined until he continued.

On the other line, Lydia gnawed on her lip. A million thoughts swirled around inside her mind and every single one of them was about Oliver. He was always there, in the back of her mind, no matter what.

Most were innocent and about how sweet he was to her for no reason at all. She'd been a bit of a bitch after all, but Oliver never held it against her. He encouraged her to be better, and for him, she tried. For him, she'd do anything.

But some were deeper and overwhelming to accept. She thought of how he made her feel like she was the most important thing in the world and how he never hesitated to call her perfect, even when she was doubting herself. More than once, Lydia attempted to put a name to what he was to her. She failed every time, because how was she supposed to put a word to it? How was Lydia supposed to tell the world what Oliver Pérez meant to her when she wasn't even sure herself?

The word 'friend' held no meaning to her. Not when it came to Oliver. It was too underwhelming. You didn't sit for hours in your room and wonder what it would feel like to kiss your friend, hold his hand, and run your fingers through his hair.

For now, Lydia would be content with not putting a title to what Oliver was to her. For now, he would be Ollie. Her Ollie. And for as long as he wished, she'd be his Lyds.

🦎

Oliver had always thought of Isaac Lahey as a friend. They'd been in the same class since kindergarten after all and had been on the lacrosse team together for quite some time. Isaac was awkward and shy most of the time but once you got to know him and he grew comfortable, he was kind and quite funny.

At least, that's what he used to be. Now, Oliver wasn't really sure what to think.

He'd been stunned when he spotted Isaac parading down the hallway with the recognizable confidence of a naive beta, yet to be exposed to the true horrors of the supernatural. As far as Oliver knew, there was a warrant out for his arrest still. But by listening to the gossip of his peers, he quickly learned that Isaac was deemed innocent after Jackson took back his claim of having seen the boy argue with his father the night he was killed.

Great news for Isaac, but for Oliver, Scott, and Stiles? Not so much. Isaac's innocence meant another short-fused beta roaming the school freely for the trio to look after while Derek did whatever it was he did in his spare time without a care for the walking time bombs he'd created.

Much like Erica, Isaac had a change of appearance, but it was nowhere near as dramatic as hers. He switched his simple hoodies and sweaters for the black leather jacket that symbolized Derek's pack. There was also the added arrogance that seemed to be seeping out of him and leaving Oliver with a scrunched-up grimace on his face.

Oliver hadn't expected Isaac to be nice to him still. He hadn't even expected to converse with him at all. The very moment he was made aware of the Lahey boy's presence in the school, he formed a meticulous plan on how to avoid him like the plague. It consisted of bolting in the opposite direction if he were to spot him in the hallway.

But his plan was shattered into bits when the first thing Isaac did when noticing him lurking by his locker was approach him. Oliver cursed under his breath, not really caring if Isaac overheard it, before mustering up a smile that was fake enough that you could spot it from miles away.

"Isaac, to what do I owe the displeasure of your company?" Oliver asked once Isaac reached his side. He didn't bother to look away from his locker and continued to search around for his chemistry book. He desperately needed to clean out his locker, but between fighting a giant lizard and worrying about Derek and his shenanigans, there wasn't much time left to spare.