| 30 |

Oliver had no idea where to begin explaining what had happened to Lydia without revealing every little detail about the supernatural he and his friends had worked so hard to keep hidden. He didn't want her involved in what was going on. It was dangerous and he wouldn't always be there to save her life - even though he would try his damnest.

But he also felt he owed it to her to be truthful. Her life had been put in danger because of him multiple times now, and she was still in the dark about everything. She wasn't safe and she never would be. Not with werewolves and hunters as friends.

Oliver knew it would be a lot safer for Lydia to know everything. It would be easier if she knew. The others, however, didn't agree. They thought it would be better if she was blissfully unaware. It would be better for her, they said, ignoring how she time and time again was within death's grasp because she knew nothing about the dangers around her.

Lydia wanted answers, that much Oliver knew. He could feel how she stared at the side of his head while he kept his eyes trained on the road. She was picking him apart with her gaze, observing how he acted and watching his behavior to try and figure out his next move. Lydia wanted to know if at least one of her friends, one she liked a little more and a little differently than the rest, would finally tell her the truth.

He didn't want her to feel crazy anymore. Oliver wanted to tell Lydia everything more than anything else. He wanted to explain what had happened with Peter at the lacrosse field, fill in the gaps she couldn't quite remember, and make her feel safe with the knowledge that he was dead and wouldn't return to harm her.

But in the end, Scott had the final say in the important decisions, and he didn't want Lydia to know. Not now, at least.

Oliver figured he could compromise.

He wouldn't tell Lydia everything, of course. Instead, he would vaguely explain the important stuff. Like to stay the hell away from Isaac, Erica, and Boyd no matter what. Scott wouldn't be happy with him. But what Scott didn't know wouldn't kill him, right?

"Are you going to tell me what happened tonight?" Lydia asked when Oliver stopped the car outside of her house. The porch lights were on but the rooms were dark. Lydia didn't bother hurrying. Her mother was already fast asleep.

Oliver gnawed at his bottom lip. "No," he said but regretted it instantly when her eyes flashed with hurt. "I mean yes! Well, kind off, I suppose..?" his words, slurred together into an incomprehensible mess, were of no help to Lydia, who furrowed her eyebrows in befuddlement.

With a groan that was both loud and dramatic, Oliver let his head fall forward and hit the steering wheel painfully. His voice was muffled when he spoke again but Lydia could hear the sincerity in his tone clearly.

"Lydia, please believe me when I say it's far more complicated than it seems."

That much, Lydia had already figured out. Had it been simple, she knew Oliver would already have told her everything.

"I do believe you, Ollie. But I am terrified and I don't even know why."

Slowly Oliver lifted his head, his eyes soft with sympathy and care. He exhaled through his nose and nodded slowly. "I couldn't tell you everything even if I wanted to, because quite frankly, I'm pretty fucking confused too. But I will try to explain some of it. The important stuff, at least."

And that's exactly what he did. He told her that she wasn't crazy, not in the slightest, and that most things she thought she'd hallucinated probably were real. That frightened Lydia more than anything. Especially since he left it at that. But at least she wasn't out of her mind. Oliver also explained that it hadn't been a robber trying to break into Scott's house, but something far more dangerous.