| 27 |

Oliver had never loathed his supernatural hearing as much as he did as he stood in line at the base of the climbing wall, listening to one of his best friends flirt with his girlfriend. It seemed Scott had forgotten he was the only one without enhanced abilities and was now driving Oliver into madness.

The words the two spoke to each other were enough for Oliver to want to wash his ears out with bleach and just a moment later, when Scott leaned back to glimpse at Allison's behind bearing a teasing grin, his eyes as well. Oliver would much prefer never to hear or see again than be forced to ever be in a room alone with the sickeningly sweet couple.

He was relieved when Scott teased Allison for being slow, which ultimately made her kick him down from the wall. It meant the seemingly never ending torture was finally over. Scott didn't seem to mind his classmates were laughing all around him, however, because he was staring at his girlfriend with a lovesick expression, watching her finish the climb and claim her victory.

Stiles huffed a breath from next to Oliver and not so gently nudged him in the ribs to gain his attention. "Those two make me want to die sometimes, you know? And by that, I mean like all the time. I swear if you could win prizes for making others feel single as fuck, they'd win all of them." he complained louder than necessary, practically whining.

Oliver laughed in amusement and shoved his face away from him.

Coach Finstock approached Scott who was lying on the safety mat as he laughed louder than anyone else. He sat down by his student, shaking his head back and forth as he spoke. "McCall, I don't know why, but your pain gives me a special kind of joy." he continued laughing until he stood up, the smile suddenly wiped off his face as he looked at the list he'd created for the order in which you were supposed to climb. "Pérez, Erica, let's go!"

Oliver grinned and nodded as he approached the wall together with a curly-haired blonde girl he'd seen once or twice in the corridor. He put on the safety straps and stared up at the top of the wall. It seemed like a much shorter distance when Scott and Allison were climbing. He hoped his supernatural abilities would come in handy because if he remembered correctly, climbing wasn't his strong suit.

He began pulling himself up the wall at what he hoped to be a respectable pace. His fingers ached slightly from scraping against the wall when he tried to find a grip, but other than that it seemed to go well enough.

It wasn't until Oliver began his climb down again, bearing a victorious smile that he noticed Erica's struggle. She was gasping and heaving for breath, her body practically trembling as she pressed herself as far into the wall as she could manage.

Oliver stopped at the same height as her, his brown eyes peering at her in evident concern. "Erica, are you all right?" he asked gently, quiet enough for no one other than her and Scott to hear.

Her mouth opened and closed repeatedly almost as though she would say something, but no sound came out. His eyes widened when he heard Allison mention from the ground that she was epileptic.

"Erica, I'm going to help you down, alright? Is that okay?"

He received a nod in reply, and instantly he began climbing closer to the blonde girl. As carefully as he could he removed her hands from the wall and placed them around him, holding himself in place with one hand and his legs as he held her close to him so she wouldn't fall. Oliver made sure there was no risk for her to get hurt before gently lowering them to the ground. He didn't release his grip from around her until both of her feet were firmly planted on the ground and the safety harness was off.

She tried to muster up what Oliver assumed to be a grateful smile but he knew she was annoyed. Not at him but at the situation. He could feel her frustration radiate off her in waves. She wanted to have been able to climb all by herself. She didn't want to be the laughingstock of the school.