| 26 |

"You've got to listen closely, Oliver," Derek remarked as he pulled the boy off the floor for surely the twentieth time that night.

They'd been going at it for hours, training defense in case of an attack by either a hunter or another werewolf. Oliver would keep his eyes closed as he stood in the middle of the room as Derek attacked. The point was for Oliver to use his sense of hearing to anticipate where Derek would attack.

He had yet to master the skill and was now fairly certain his back was permanently bruised from being slammed to the ground a handful of times.

Oliver groaned as he stretched his sore limbs, shooting the older werewolf a look of annoyance as he rubbed some sweat off his forehead with his tank top. "Yeah, well, you make next to no sound when you move, Derek. You're too experienced in being quiet and I'm a beginner at this whole hearing thing." he glanced at his sisters who were watching them from the staircase.

Gabriela fiddled with the first aid kit in her hands, there just in case Derek decided to break one of Oliver's bones or at least dislocate a limb. Sofía watched the scene with a bemused expression on her face, clad in her deputy uniform. Technically, she was on duty that night but she had her radio with her and could leave whenever.

"Can't Sof be the one to attack me instead?" Oliver asked after a moment and Derek instantly shook his head.

"Of course not. She's human and you could accidentally hurt her." the man pointed out in a defensive tone.

Both Gabriela and Oliver had noticed Derek's newfound protectiveness over their sister and had made it their own personal mission to figure out why. Oliver had a small inkling that maybe he was harboring feelings for Sofía, but he wanted to be sure before making any claims.

Oliver huffed as he crossed his arms across his chest, arching a pointed eyebrow. "Can you at least try to make a little more noise then? At least in the beginning as I learn?" he asked and Derek rolled his eyes before sighing in defeat.

"Fine! But only until you learn what to listen for."

They got in their places, Oliver in the middle of the room with his eyes closed as Derek began circling him. But just before he could attack the teenage boy, thundering footsteps reached their ears.

Oliver snapped his eyes open and his sisters instantly stood from the staircase and backed away to the safety of the two werewolves. His eyebrows furrowed in slight confusion at the sight of Isaac rushing into the railway in a frenzy, his eyes wide in fright. He could hear how fast the boy's heart was beating, almost as though it was about to burst through his ribcage.

"Derek!" Isaac yelled, his trembling voice breaking in the slightest.

Sofía moved to his side and put a calming hand on his shoulder. He swallowed nervously as he noticed the siblings in the room with them, eyes flickering in between all of them. Oliver's eyes widened when he caught the scent of an additional werewolf.

"You're a werewolf? Since when?" he asked his lacrosse teammate, eyebrows drawn together into a frown.

The oldest Pérez turned to Derek with narrowed eyes, leaving Isaac's side to jab a finger into his chest. "You bit him despite the amount of Argents in town right now? What the hell is wrong with you?" she asked, her jaw clenched in anger.

Derek waved her off. "You can yell at me later, Sof. Now is clearly not the time," he remarked and approached his beta. "What happened? What's wrong?"

Isaac hesitantly began explaining what had happened. "Uh, it's my dad. I think... I think he's dead."

Gabriela's mouth dropped open at his words, her eyebrows raised further up than Oliver knew was possible. She pointed a finger at him with a threatening glare in her eyes.