Chapter 3 - How much do you remember from school?

Your POV:
We got woken up because the D-class team decided to become as annoying as possible, and started smashing every single object in the room as loudly as they could. Because their rooms were located close to ours, they successfully managed to anger every single one of us, but to their misery, also the SCPs.

Shortly after Abel woke up, he stormed into every single D-class room and started beating them up so loudly, that Cain, Iris and Larry had to calm him down. SCP-106 also asked him to beat them more quietly, because it sounded like he was butchering some pigs in there.

Abel of course listened to his friend, and despite Iris' and Cain's protests to leave them alone, he silenced the D-class members with a bunch of duct tape, which silenced all their screams. When Siggurós finally decided to interfere, she teleported Abel back to his room, and told us and D-boys to move our butts to the competition as quickly as we could.

As we went there, we walked into a bland, grey room with two tables, that each had a singular buzzer. One red, one yellow, and a chair. There were seats behind those tables for the non-contestants to sit on. In front of the two tables sat Cain with a small computer screen next to him. I shuddered at the sight of Cain's mishmash body of skin and machine, able to kill all of us with his pinky finger if he so wished. Thankfully for us, we were protected by the competition's rules, and SCP-073 was also a pacifist. After we all entered and got settled in our seats, the cyborg spoke up.

"This challenge is going to be simple. A game of knowledge. A contestant from each team will answer questions in science, Maths, fine arts, literature, history, and other miscellaneous 'trash questions'. Every question answered correctly earns ten points. If you interrupt a question and get it wrong, you lose five points. When you press the buzzer, wait to be called on before answering. The punishment for failing to do so is your answer is immediately wrong. Any questions?"

I played a similar game to this as a child, so it wasn't that hard to understand. There were a few confused looks, but they didn't say anything. Cain broke the silence after a few moments.

"Very well. I will now randomly select a contestant."

Names rapidly flashed across a small computer screen before it stopped with a ding, revealing the contestants. MTF Timothy from Epsilon-9 and D-78904, also known as Benjamin. I groaned in frustration causing SCP-079 to glance at me. I immediately composed myself.

"Anyways," he continued. "We will start with a buzzer check. Timothy?" *Buzz* "Benjamin?" *Buzz* "Very good. Let's begin."

Since 073 was not able to read printed out questions due to the fact that the paper would disintegrate, the screen displayed the questions.

"In which Soviet city did the most severe nuclear disaster in history take place in 1986?" After a small breath of silence there was a buzz. "Benjamin."

"Chernobyl."

A green check mark appeared on screen, "Correct! Next question is Math computation. Eight out of every 100 men are colour blind. What fractional part of all men have this condition? You have 20 seconds to answer."

After a good 5 seconds Timothy buzzed. They called on him and in a slight country accent he answered, "2/25."

"Correct! What ancient region was ruled by great leaders such as Hammurabi, Nebuchadnezzar II, and Alexander the Great?"

I screamed in my head the answer. Babylonia! Babylonia! The contestants just stood there scratching their heads like they never retained anything from history class in their early teen years.

"I call time. The answer was 'Babylonia'," Cain sighed almost gloomily.

I stared with disapproval at Timothy, as I started loudly cursing on him for screwing this up so badly.

"Math computation. What is the distance between the points (0, 1) and (3, 3)? Give your answer in terms of radicals."

The time ticked away, and I was pretty sure Timothy was just doodling on a piece of paper, pretending to actually be doing something, because instead of any calculations I saw a bunch of stickmen figures drawn on his paper.

"Time. The answer was '√13 units'."

I was starting to get nervous. There was no way we were going to win.

"What word describes a return to using drugs after the user attempted to quit?"

There was an immediate buzz from Benjamin and it seemed our MTF member was trying to buzz too. "Relapse!"

The screen displayed a red 'X', "That is incorrect. Remember to be called on before answering." *Buzz* "Timothy."

"Relapse."

"Correct! Next question. Hank is holding a rock that contains a fossil. Into which rock fam-" *Buzz* "Benjamin"

"Sedimentary."

"Correct! What phase of the moon occurs when the moon is invisible from Earth?" *Buzz* "Timothy."

"New moon."

The game was starting to move by relatively quickly. Towards the end of the game the scores added up to 180 for our squad, and 175 for our opponents.

"This final question will decide the winner of this challenge. Math computation. What number do you get? Start with the number of feet in one mile, add the number of inches in one yard, and multiply that answer by the number of centimeters in 2 meters."

It was probably the longest 20 seconds of my life. The room was completely silent except for the scratching of pencil and paper, and the air in the room was so tense and heavy you could cut it with a knife. 5... 4... 3... 2... *Buzz*!

The sudden sound of the buzzer nearly made me jump out of my skin. Epsilon-9 was answering, and I started silently praying and hoping, that he didn't say something stupid or inaccurate which would lose us the challenge.

"Timothy."

"One million, sixty-three thousand and... two hundred...?" He inquired with almost no confidence.

The cyborg purposely paused before affirming whether or not the answer was correct. A sound of amusement came from Cain as he teased us playfully with the suspense. Finally, he spoke, "Correct!"

I let out a huge sigh of relief as the rest of the SCP staff cheered, while Timothy turned around with a big smile and joined the rest of his squadron. The D-class frowned with defeat and dread, while Benjamin had to quickly run away to his room in order to avoid his team's fury. I could swear that I saw one D-class member hiding something sharp in her clothing, but I couldn't take a good look at it as almost instantly and without any warning we got teleported back to our rooms, while our doors were shut down.

At first we were confused, but after a few minutes of uncertainty we were told, that one of the kitchen knives was missing, and that it was found in that D-class' pockets, who apparently tried to use it against Benjamin for losing the competition by the smallest margin. Unknowingly to her, every single sharp object had an alarm set in case it went missing, and she unknowingly triggered it, which resulted in all SCPs going after her.

Surprisingly, her punishment wasn't brutal in physical sense, but it was definitely going to be a psychological torture, because she was tied up and headphones were put on her head, which were used to play an extremely annoying song on a 24 hour loop. Not only was it going to be infuriating for her, but additionally she wouldn't get any sleep until the next competition was over. On the other hand, she was excluded from participating in it.

After the news were delivered, our doors were opened once again, which made me quickly gather with with my friends, where we started talking about the competition. Thankfully we were in the lead, even though this entire competition was worth only a single point for the winning team. It wasn't over though, as there was more games to come in the following days.