Chapter 13 - Chemical shenanigans

Your POV:

This was the final competition which was also worth three points. Our lead over the D-class team meant, that if we won at least one point then the games would be over for them. Unfortunately for us, the SCPs decided to make a single round, and the winning team would receive all three points. As Siggurós entered the room, we started praying that the competition wasn't made to completely screw us over, and her words gave us some reassurance:

- Long story short, you are going to experiment with chemistry today. I will provide both teams with their own supplies, and you have one week in order to create something, which is going to blow judge's mind.

- And who is going to judge us? - Natas asked her almost immediately, to which she responded:

- We have chosen my brother, SCP-682 to be your judge.

- I didn't agree to participate in this... - The Reptile spoke, visibly disappointed from this choice.

- Well, we used a randomizer to choose the judge and it landed on you. Now don't complain and get ready, as in one week you are going to judge them.

Having said that, she teleported a few random people from each team to their own experiment rooms, and because of the will of whoever is creating this universe, me and Diana were also a part of this group.

- Okay, what are we even supposed to do? - One of the guards asked, before adding: - I barely passed chemistry when I was younger, I don't know what to do!

- Chill, let's think... - Diana spoke and started thinking: - We need something to blow 682's mind... Do we have any uranium in here?

- Diana, even though we have Uranium Tetrachloride, we are not going to get pure uranium, refine it and make an atomic bomb! - One of the MTFs protested.

- Why not? We don't have to activate it, just show it to him!

- First of all, millions of people are watching this live stream, and we don't want to teach them how to make a nuclear bomb from scratch, and secondly, this book would get deleted almost immediately!

- Hold on... What do you mean by "this book" Jake...?

The MTF visibly started sweating and quickly made an excuse about using a bad choice of words by accident, which made everyone else ignore the previous sentence.

- Okay, if we are not going to make a nuke, then what are we supposed to do?
Maybe a moonshine?

- First of all, that's probably illegal, secondly, it would take at least two weeks, while we have only one.

- I have an idea. We could turn gloves into a soda. - I spoke, which made everyone else look at me with curious faces. - Hold on, let me show you the video...

I have shown them the video, and after a bit of wondering how in the world it was possible, we have decided to get to work. After gathering enough vinyl gloves we started extracting Phthalate Ester from them, as its chemical structure was somewhat similar to Methyl Anthranilate, which is a known artificial grape flavouring. At the same time the first substance wasn't particularly safe to digest, which made us thankful for 682's adaptability and immortality, as getting him sick would be close to impossible.

And this wasn't a joke, because SCP-682 was known to eat multiple dangerous substances in the past, both during termination attempts and during days when Dr Bright wanted to see "What would happen if we fed 682 with it?". It took him around two hours before he ran out of ideas, but during this time he managed to feed it many things, including, but not limited to: A bunch of rat poison, multiple pizzas taken out of the Infinite Pizza Box, a few chairs from Clef's and Kondraki's offices, around a kilogram, or 35,27 ounces of gunpowder, 1 ounce, or around 28,35 grams of uranium, and one unfortunate D-class who was supposed to be terminated for lack of obedience.

When we managed to contain the Phthalate Ester in an alcohol solution, we decided to concentrate it a little bit before adding a solution of sodium hydroxide into it. After combining both solutions we used the heat to start a reaction between them in order to create Sodium Phthalate, which we later turned into Phthalate Acid.

At this point some of us were wondering if what we were doing even had a chance of working, but one scientist with a PhD degree from chemistry assured us, that despite being stupid, our idea was slowly turning into a reality. The next step took a long time to finish, but in the end we received another chemical, which kind of looked like cotton candy.

After a few more chemical reactions, which took us around three days, we finally created somewhat pure Anthranilic Acid, which was only one step away from the artificial grape flavour. It took us another few hours to finally reach this point, and on the last day we used that substance to make our own grape soda, which we served to SCP-682 after the competition was over.

As we stood in front of the reptilian judge, he looked at our creation and curiously asked:

- You had one week in order to create something, which would blow my mind, and you are coming with a bottle of regular soda... Could you kindly explain how did you make it, and why you should be the ones who get those three points?

Leo, who was the one scientist with a PhD from chemistry immediately began explaining how we made this soda, along with the detailed information about the process, before handing 682 a 20 page essay which he wrote during the competition, which described everything even more profoundly than his oral description.

- Hold on... - The reptile looked at him. - You expect me to read all of this?!

- Yes...? - Leo responded, before adding: - You wanted to know how and why we did that, so I made a whole essay about this.

- Dude, you know I cannot read... - 682 spoke before grabbing a nearby pair of glasses. - Without my reading glasses...

At this point he took the papers and went away for almost an hour, which irritated the entire D-class team, as they expected to hand over their project as quickly as possible. When 682 came back, he put the papers next to other SCPs, who quickly started reading it themselves.

- Okay, I have to say... I wasn't impressed at first, but now I have changed my mind. Your idea to turn vinyl gloves into a soda is absolutely disgusting, but at the same time I am liking it! However, I still have to judge the flavour before doing anything else...

Having said that, he took a sip and started judging the flavour.

- Look... As much as I like what you did there, and even though your soda tastes like grapes... It kind of tastes like the cheapest soda you could find...- He spoke, which immediately made us lose all of our confidence. - It is just not that good, sorry.

At this point he called the D-class team, who arrived with a box of white substance, which was given to the Reptile.

- Long story short, we have decided to make some sugar for you, and we are sure you are going to enjoy it. - A female D-class spoke with a sinister smile, which made 682 look at them suspiciously.

- Seriously...? You had a week, and the best you were able to make was a bunch of sugar...? - 682 spoke before grabbing the box. - It better be good, or else you are out of this competition...

As he said that, he immediately threw all of it into his mouth, and swallowed it with visible disgust.

- This thing isn't even sweet! This is disgusting! What was that supposed to be?! - He yelled before furiously approaching the group's leader. - Give me one good reason... One good reason why I shouldn't give the three poin...

At this point 682 slowed down and looked around him, visibly confused. His moves became weird, and he looked like he just got out of a car accident.

- What is this...? - He spoke, visibly confused. - Why is the world spinning...? Why am I seeing colours which shouldn't be there...? What... - He said before falling on the floor, visibly having trouble to stay in a normal position. - What did you do to me...?

- We may or may not have made a little bit of drugs in there. Enjoy your trip to the dream world, Mr Reptile!

682 started slowly laughing, while also struggling to try and stand up. When he finally did it, he started walking towards the exit in a zigzag pattern, before adding:

- I have changed my mind, D-class team wins this round... - Were his last words before he left the room.