Chapter 5 - The royal game

Your POV:
All of us thought 682 would be calm after his recent burst of anger, but despite having no mouth, and despite getting reduced in size by 239, he still found a way to escape from his cage and demolish the entire cafeteria. After this incident, she decided to kick him from the next round, and thus the first real life example of /kick command was shown. She sent him to an alternate dimension, where he would stay for the entire day, until the competition was over.

This gave us an opportunity to take a good nap, and during the next day we would be playing chess. Together with Amanda, we were chosen to participate, and along with two class-D members we would be playing against SCPs. Our opponents were: SCP-076, SCP-073, SCP-953 and SCP-2662. Of course the kumiho has chosen a game, which was a pure torture to my teammate, but ultimately we have decided to go on and play. My first opponent was SCP-076, who apparently was supposed to be the easiest out of their four.

He was playing as white, and he started the opening with a classical e4, to which I responded with a c6. After d4 I responded with a d5, because I wanted to go for caro kann defence. Abel thought for a moment and replied with Nc3, while I decided to take on e4, aka: dxe4. He responded by taking with the knight, while I put pressure on it with Bf5.

After that he went Knight to g3, while I brought the bishop to g6, then he went for Nf3, and I decided to also develop my knight with Nd3. I had to do this, because the pawn on c6 was blocking the other development square, so I had to put it in there, even though it would partially block the queen.

To secure his king, he decided to castle short, while I put my knight from g8 on f6, which he followed with a c4, and I responded with Bd6, in order to control the diagonals, and after pawn on b3 I castled short, which pretty much put us in the middle game.

The game was going smoothly, and for most of the game it looked like it would end up in a draw. Every exchange was equal, and the position looked safe for both players, until Abel accidentally blundered his rook, by moving it to a file controlled by a bishop. Immediately I took over this, and gained a solid advantage, and after thinking for a few minutes, Abel stood up, grabbed his king and knocked it over, in order to resign the game. My first game was victorious, and we have finished second, while two games were still ongoing – 953 was crushing the D-class with a major advantage, while C'thulu was pretty much playing with my teammate, by underpromoting four pawns to knights, just to have some fun. The game played by Cain has ended really quickly, because his opponent tried to play Damiano Defence.

I waited a little bit for all the games to end, and played the next game against C'thulu. Before we started, Amanda asked me to destroy him completely for what he did to her in the game. I promised to let him feel the same pain, and started the game with E3. Confused, he responded with D5, in order to take control of the center, while I played the famous Bongcloud with Ke2. C'thulu realized what I did, and knew that if he lost, it would be a humiliating loss, so he played Nf6, in order to develop quickly.

I replied with d4, which we followed by a sequence of Bg4, f3, Bf5, c3, Nd6, Nd2 and e5. 079 would later tell me, that these weren't perfect moves, and I even replied with a pretty big inaccuracy, which was g4, while C'thulu panicked and went for Be6. Slowly the game continued into the middle game, where I sacrificed my queen for his rook, bishop and a knight, which gave me an enormous advantage. He tried to be sneaky and set up a mate in 1, which I avoided by making an escape route for my king.

As I pushed my pawn into a promotion square, I realized his king and queen were set up for a perfect forking position, so instead of making a queen, I underpromoted to a knight, which caused C'thulu to start swearing in his Eldritch language. Having taken his queen, it took me seven more moves to checkmate him, which made him slam his fists and tentacles on the table, efficiently breaking it.