CHAPTER 2

At 3 in the afternoon, Haseena briskly entered her place, engrossed in a phone call. Just as she approached the living area, the receptionist hurriedly chased after her, calling out, "Ma'am...! Ma'am...!"

Annoyed by the interruption, Haseena halted before entering and abruptly ended the call, "Koun maar gaya?" Her irritation seeped into her voice as she shouted.

The receptionist, taken aback by her tone, lowered her head, "Sorry ma'am... Par government ki taraf se notice aayi hai."

Haseena was puzzled. A few hours ago she had confronted and threatened the minister and now making her wonder why she'd receive a notice. Snatching the letter, she quickly tore it open. Her eyes sparkled like stars as she read, a genuine smile lighting up her face for the first time in years.

Proudly, she exclaimed, kissing the letter, "Proud of you, Haseena Mallik! Time to surprise you, babygirl!"

Pulling out her cheque book from the blazer, she wrote a generous cheque of ten lakhs and handed it to the receptionist, stunning her with the amount. The receptionist was in disbelief, unable to comprehend the gesture.

"Thank you, ma'am..." she uttered in shock.

Haseena nodded in acknowledgment and left the reception in high spirits. Upon entering the living area, she was astonished to find her mother, Noor Jahan, reciting something, while Shivani was nowhere to be seen. Haseena was taken aback by her mother's unexpected presence.

"Mumma...! You're here?" Haseena exclaimed, shrugging off her blazer.

Noor Jahan approached Haseena, gesturing for her to remain silent. "Kuch mat bolna. It's for your good health. Aur kyu bhool jati ho ye ghar humara bhi hai. Hum kabhi bhi aa jaa sakte. Samhji?"

Haseena raised her hands in surrender, conceding, "I didn't say anything. Just got a little surprised seeing you here. Aap kab aayi?"

Noor Jahan folded her arms, "Subah! Lekin majaal hai tum ne notice kiya apni maa ko. 24 ghante sirf kaam, kaam, kaam!"

Angered, Haseena quickly scanned the house and questioned her mother, "Where is Shivani? Aap ko akele chhod diya usne?"

Noor Jahan closed her eyes in dismay and explained calmly, "Hasu... Haar cheez ka blame uss par? Stop doing this to her. She is your wife now, not your best friend. I know what's going on with you and her."

Fearing her mother now knew the truth about their marriage, Haseena asked cautiously, "Know what?"

In the same tone, Noor Jahan replied, "Jis tarah se tum ne uske saath behave kiya subah. Hum wahi the. Manane toh chhodo tum ne usse baat tak nai ki.  When will you understand she wishes you well?"

Throwing her blazer onto the sofa, Haseena slumped into it, "Mumma, please... Not again. Jo bhi hai humare beech, I'll sort it out."

Sitting beside her, Noor Jahan gently said, "Hasu... Tum chahti ho wo tumari respect kare par tumhe bhi wahi karna padega. You don't give her the respect she deserves."

Haseena sighed sharply, "She holds the title of Mrs. Mallik. Everyone respects her as my wife. She gets everything she wants—"

Noor Jahan interjected, "Except you, your respect, and your love."

Haseena rested her head on the sofa's back, closing her eyes. At the mention of 'LOVE' a deluge of memories flooded her mind. Anguish flared within her, intensifying to the point of overwhelming her. A searing headache gripped her, breathing became erratic, and she began sweating profusely, her palms and feet turning icy cold.

Noor Jahan continued lecturing about loving Shivani and giving her the respect she deserved. Minutes passed, but Haseena couldn't take it anymore. Her head felt ready to explode any moment. Just then, two warm hands started massaging her head. Noor Jahan fell silent, and Haseena's body gradually relaxed. The hands moved down to her neck and shoulders, alleviating the tension that had built up.