CHAPTER 25

Two hours had slipped by since Karishma disappeared into Singh's place, leaving Haseena waiting downstairs, her patience steady as a rock. Inside, the mood was somber, the weight of tension palpable in the thick silence. Barbie sat in the living room with her luggage and children, while Dev was scrolling through his phone giving occasional opinions and Pushpa attempted to console her on the couch. Meanwhile, Santu and Karishma worked to distract and entertain Barbie's children, trying to lighten the heavy atmosphere hanging over them.

"Aap dono room mein jao aur khelo..." Karishma said sweetly to her niece and nephew.

Anubhav's elder daughter, with her backpack on her shoulders, voiced her reluctance, "Bua hume nahi jana nani ke ghar..."

Anubhav's younger son, clutching his soft toy and trolley bag, echoed her sentiment, "Haan bua hume yahan khelna... Sab ke saath."

Pushpa reassured them, "Tum dono kahi nahi jaa rahe ho..."

Seeking further reassurance, Anubhav's daughter asked, "Pakka dadi?"

Santu intervened, assuring them, "Haan pakka... Chalo andar wo dono wait kar rahi hai."

As Santu guided the children into the room and closed the door, she returned to stand near Karishma.

"Santu, cheete kahan hai?" Karishma inquired, noticing the absence of him.

Santu informed her, "Wo balcony mein hai."

Karishma nodded, then turned her attention to Barbie, asking directly, "Bhabhi aapko kya hua hai? Ab Anu bhaiya nahi rahe, iska ye matlab toh nahi hai ki aap ghar chhod chale jaayengi?"

Barbie's tone was firm as she responded, "Ab main aur yahan nahi reh sakti. Mujhe pata hai mujh par aur mere bachon par kya guzar rahi hai."

Pushpa urged her, "Toh batao hume. Tum iss ghar ki badi bahu ho."

Barbie's frustration erupted as she exclaimed, "Aapko pata bhi hai maa bachon ko ye bol rahe ki wo deshdrohi ke bachhe hai. Kitni embarrassing aur traumatic hai bachon ke liye? Kya asar padega unn dono par? Main aur nahi seh sakti ye sab. Anu nahi toh humara kaisa rishta aap sab se. Hum, meri maa ke paas chale jaayenge. Wahi kisi school mein admission kar denge par aur Lucknow mein nahi reh sakte."

Karishma took a stand for her family, asserting, "Wo sirf aapke bachhe nahi hai. Wo iss ghar ke bachhe hai. Hum unko sab alag hone nahi denge. Aapko jaana hai toh jaaiye lekin bachhe yahi rahenge."

Santu added her opinion, "Bhabhi hum sab aap ke saath hai. Bachhon ko koi kuch bolega main ye dekh lungi lekin aap please ghar chhodkar mat jaaiye. Bachhon ka sochiye ek baar, unhe apne hi parivar se dur kar rahi hai aap."

Barbie retorted, "Shut up Karishma! Tum ghar par rehti tak nahi toh humare mamle mein bolo bhi mat. Family par itni badi musibat hai aur tum bhaag gayi apne dost ke ghar. Aur maa ko kya bahana diya? Break chahiye iss sab tamashe se."

Karishma stood her ground, "Toh aapko apne pati par nazar rakhni chahiye thi. If you would have done your duties then we wouldn't have landed up in this situation. Aapke pyaare patidev ne kya kiya yahan sabko pata hai. Aur humara bhi ghar aur ek family jisse hume sambhalna hota hai..."

Karishma's words tumbled out in a rush, her emotions getting the better of her. As everyone turned to look at her, confusion etched on their faces, Karishma suddenly realized the weight of her words. She had meant to say what she did, but in the heat of the moment, the truth had slipped out. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the others, cheetah on the balcony observed Haseena engaged in conversation with the watchman at the main entrance of the building.

Karishma quickly attempted to cover up her slip, stating, "Humara matlab tha ye bhi humara ghar hai. Isse sambhalna humari bhi zimmedari hai..." Pushpa eyed her suspiciously, sensing there was more to her statement.