CHAPTER 24

A few weeks had passed since the tumultuous events surrounding Haseena and Karishma's marriage. While Noor Jahan had no choice but to accept Karishma as her daughter-in-law, the disappointment of Shivani's parents lingered, their hopes dashed by the unforeseen turn of events. Despite their persistent requests for Haseena to allow Shivani to return to Mumbai under their care and financial support, Haseena remained stubborn in her decision.

In her office cabin, the air was tense as Haseena sat with the CEO of the company, discussing important matters. Riya, her loyal assistant, stood nearby, ready to assist at a moment's notice. As the CEO departed, a dull ache began to throb in Haseena's temples.

"Rita, one coffee please...", Haseena requested, her tone a blend of softness and authority, as she rubbed her temples in an attempt to alleviate the headache.

Riya hesitated momentarily, gently correcting, "Ma'am... It's Riya..."

Undeterred, Haseena's gaze sharpened as she issued her command, "Tumhe iss waqt ye important lagta hai? Mia, Riya tiya, jo bhi hai jo humare liye coffee lekar aao."

Quick to comply, Riya rushed to fetch the coffee, her steps faltering slightly under Haseena's stern gaze. She moved towards the coffee machine, located on the other side of the cabin, which boasted a selection of premium and luxurious coffee brands and other imported accessories.

"Where is Karishma?" Haseena inquired, her voice cutting through the cabin's ambient hum.

Riya, multitasking with the coffee preparations, paused to answer, "Wo shayad saare departments, especially HR ke saath meeting mein hai. She decided that there will be three working shifts... Morning, afternoon, and night shifts."

Haseena nodded thoughtfully, impressed by Karishma's dedication and efficiency, though her thoughts momentarily clouded with memories of Aman and his connection to the HR department. As Riya served the coffee, placing the mug on the desk. Haseena's mind raced with various responsibilities and concerns.

Taking the mug from the desk, Haseena proceeded to the conference hall. Riya followed closely behind her. She entered the hall silently, signaling for the meeting to continue as she stood behind her wife, quietly sipping her coffee. Karishma remained unaware of her presence, fully engrossed in the proceedings of the meeting.

"Hume koi jawab dega? Kyu chup hogaye aap sab!?" Karishma's voice cut through the tension in the room, her tone laced with authority and strictness.

Surprisingly, Haseena raised her eyebrows in appreciation of her wife's assertiveness. She had always seen the softer side of Karishma, making this display of strength all the more remarkable. The employees seated around the table exchanged uncertain glances, unsure how to react to Karishma's sudden outburst. Without hesitation, Karishma hurled a file across the table, her frustration palpable.

"Haseena, aap ka har budget approve karti hai iska matlab aap uska galat fayda uthayenge. Mr. HR Manager, you! You took a sanction of 10 crores for the welfare and development of the department, right?" Karishma's voice reverberated with authority as she addressed the HR manager.

Stammering, he responded, "Ji ma'am... Insurance, bonus, and other employee-based expenses."

Karishma crossed her arms, her eyes flashing with anger as she questioned him further, "Toh hume uska use aur accounts dekhaye. Kyuki jab hum ne check kiya, sirf 6 crore use hua hai. What about the rest 4 crores? Where is the accountability and responsibility? Have you informed the finance team about this?"

The HR manager, now visibly flustered, replied, "Maine finance department ko inform kar diya hai. Report bhi send ki hai unhe."

The finance manager chimed in for her defence, "Ma'am, I got the report very recently. Usme sirf 5cr ke accounts hai. The rest is in the suspense account."