Chapter 21

Parker POV.

It had been exactly a month since Micah died, and I was still not ready to accept the fact that he's gone. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the nights, only to go to his room and see if he was tucked in well. Today I was once again standing in his room, holding on to his sweatshirt, waiting for him to come back from school and he would then ask me to make him a sandwich. Tears roll down my cheek.

Why did it had to be him?

I could ask this question as much as I want but I will never find any answer to that, he was the one who suffered the most. If death had come to our door that day, they would have taken me but why him? Hadn't he suffered enough at the hands of everyone?

" Parker what are you doing with my sweatshirt?" I turn around to see Micah standing near the door.

My eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing, my baby brother was standing there, he was alive. I rushed to hug him and embrace him. "You're going to kill me, what are you doing Parker?" he said as I held him so close to my chest.

I closed my eyes to feel his embrace and inhale his scent but when I opened them again, all of it was gone, he was gone. All that was left of him was just his sweatshirt in my arms. I was supposed to clean his room at least as it had been exactly like that since that day.

But I couldn't bring myself to do that, I somehow gained enough courage to open that door and clean it. I started by picking his bag, making up his sheets, followed up picking his clothes for laundry.

"You okay, Parker?" said Sophie, my girlfriend, as she was here to help me. The house had been nothing but a building since the main light and joy went away the day Micah went away. "Yeah" I lied again. The house was a mess just like me, there was a pile of dishes in the sink, the living room was a mess since it was torn apart by the police and their officials. My room was also messy as all I was doing was just changing clothes to go to the lawyer or sometimes just to stroll in the streets.

I hadn't shaved my beard; my eyes were heavy ready to drop at any time but at night I couldn't find sleep. I decided to continue my work and clean his room. While cleaning, I opened one of his drawers to see what was inside and I came across a Journal. Curiously, I decided to open it up. Turns out it was Micah's, there were a lot of entries, I sat down on his bed as I was flipping through the pages, reading a lot of moments of his life.

Somewhere it was written. Parker is the best brother one could ever ask for; he tries his best not to ever make me feel that I don't have parents. He's, like my parent. I smiled tiredly, page after page, I could feel that I was living those moments with him that he wrote.

I laid down while reading.

Sophie's POV.

I had just finished up cleaning entire house while Parker was still in Micah's room, I knew that he was going through a lot and I decided to let him clean his room so that maybe he might have some closure. Honestly, I too was saddened by the death of his brother, he was a kind soul who didn't deserved that.

Once I was done with my work, I decided to check up on him. As I opened the door, I was met by the sight of Parker sleeping while a journal laid on his chest. He was sleeping peacefully, something that he didn't have. I decided not to disturb him so I went downstairs to make dinner for him.

Upon arriving at the last step of stairs, the front door opened and I saw Dalton tripping on his feet. "Dalton are you high again?" I asked him.

"I don't have to answer you." he said as he went upstairs, almost tripping twice. Dalton was also grieving in his own way, most of these days, he would come home drunk or high and that brought another problem on Parker's plate.

Without much thought I went to the kitchen to make dinner.

Parker's POV.

I opened my eyes and in a very long time, I had a good sleep. I checked on my phone and saw that it was past 7, then I saw a text from Sophie saying that she had prepared dinner. I was really grateful to have her in my life.

I fell asleep while reading the journal, i got up and went to check on Dalton to see if he was home. I opened Dalton's door and I could smell all the alcohol on him. Now I was really mad, he was lying on the bed asleep. I brought a jug of water from kitchen before splashing it all on his face.

"What the hell!?" he yelled as he was soaked in water, hair all over his face.

"What do you think you are doing?"

"Nothing that concerns you" he said as he tried to go to the bathroom.

"Don't you dare to move unless I finish!"

"I don't care, just let me go"

"No" I replied as he then rushed to get out of the door and I stood as a wall between him and the door. He came crashing into my chest and i wrapped my arms around him as he was wriggling from my grip.

"Let me go" He pleaded

"NO!"

"I know you wanted it to be me, I know you wish that I would have died that day and not your precious Micah"

"What are you talking about?" as his words left me stunned, how could this thought ever even come in his mind

"Dalton how you could you even say that"

"I know that's what you wish and everybody wish, I could see it in everybody's eyes" he said as he broke down.

I couldn't believe my ears, I was consumed with my own grief that I forgot that I also had another brother who needed me but I wasn't there for him, instead I made him feel even worse. I could feel his tears on my shirt.

"Hey, hey listen to me" I said as both of us were sitting of the floor because of his struggle to get out of my grip. I cupped his face. "Don't you ever say that. I already lost Micah; I don't want to lose you too. You're all that I have left" I said as tears too roll down my eyes too.

I hugged him tightly, "I am sorry, I was always so awful to him." he said in between sobs. "It is my fault for which he died. If I had been home early that day, I could have stopped it." he said helplessly.

"Dalton, what has happened, has happened. There's no point in thinking of anything else. I too think the same but we can't reverse what has happened, no matter how hard we try."

He nodded. Something hit me "Is that the reason why you always come home drunk?" I asked. He sniffled and nodded. Both of us then just sat on the floor while he was still in my arms, maybe there's a way in which both of us could find closure.

"Be ready tomorrow morning, I will take you somewhere" I said as I stood up.

Next morning.

I got in my car with Dalton and since last night things had been somewhat sorted between us and there's some peace. I drove to the graveyard and both of us went to Micah's grave. "What am I supposed to do here?" Dalton asked me.

"You are going to walk near his grave and you will say whatever is in your heart. Whatever that is troubling you." I said because I thought that he should be the first one to do it.

"Alright, so hey Micah... " he started off but stopped and started talking after taking a deep breath "I just want to say that I am so sorry for how I acted towards you." tears started rolling down his face before he continuing " I just wish that I could have been a brother that you deserve and I just wished I could have saved you, I can't stop blaming myself for your death, every night I am too afraid to sleep as I fear that you might haunt me, so all that I am saying is please forgive me for all the bad deeds that I did." with that he placed the floor that we had bought before coming here.

He sniffled as he came next to me and I wrap my arm around him. "Feeling better?" I asked

"Yeah, let's go back now" he said as both of us started to walk away. I couldn't bring myself to have a closure just yet, not until those who killed him.