Chapter 24

Ten days ago,

There was a knock at the Skimmers household, where Mikey was still on the couch daring to budge from his position, while the knock just made him more scared. 'Don't open the door' he exclaimed in fear. 'They're here.'

Both the brothers were confused as to who was there and why was he so afraid. Dalton looked at Parker as to what to do now, Parker thought before saying, 'Dalton go and get something to protect yourself with and keep on calling the police to see if they answer' he ordered as he got up.

There was a second knock at the door or rather it was someone pounding on the door as hard as they could. Mikey was just afraid, while Parker was carefully looking at the door, luckily Dalton was quick with his work, as he returned with a baseball bat and a knife in his hands.

'I was surprised to see that we had a baseball bat.' He remarked while his brother looked at him astonishingly 'Seriously, is this the time to talk about it?' Dalton got the bat while he slowly approached the door. Before with a loud door, the front opened or rather broke in, making everybody lose their foot holdings on the ground.

A man in black entered the house with water dripping from his clothes and with a gun in his hands, he scanned the room to find out who was in the room and what they were doing.

During his time to see how things were, Parker took advantage and hit him with the bat, making him lose his balance and making the gun fall on the floor. 'You, cunt!' he yelled in pain.

Parker then rushed to engage him, in a struggle, since both were of the same size, it was quite hard to figure out the outcome, Dalton stood frozen as he didn't know what to do, the guy was struggling to get to the gun while Parker was trying to avoid him, this led to a struggle.

The guy knocked Parker by hitting his face hard with his elbow, making him lose balance, fearing that he might get a hold of his gun, Dalton mustered up the courage to further kick the gun, beneath the couch where Mikey was sitting, or rather curled up in a ball.

'You little piece of shit, why did you do that?' he spat, while Dalton held the knife in front of him as a defense, while his eyes were fixated on Parker since he was still struggling with pain and he was aware that only Parker could save them now, what good of his body will be if couldn't save someone? So, Dalton took the smart approach he tried to engage in a conversation with him so that he could give Parker some time.

'Why are you doing this? What did we ever do to you?' he helplessly asked the guy. Now that the guy was in the light, his face was quite clear, he appeared to be an old grunt with a scar across his nose, bald, and face devoid of emotions, except anger.

'why am I doing this? What did you attack me?' he tried to play the victim here.

'You marched into our house with a gun and we couldn't defend ourselves, is that what you're saying?'

'I just wanted the boy, give him to me and I'll be on my way and forget what you two did.'

'Why do you need the boy?'

'That's not a concern of yours.'

With that, the guy approached Dalton to hurt him, but Parker was back on his feet and he took hold of a glass vase that was near him, he raised it and hit him before the guy could even get anywhere near Dalton.

The guy was knocked out as glass was shattered across the whole floor, and Parker had blood dripping from his nose. 'Dalton call the police again and bring something to tie him up.'

Dalton obliged and finally, the call got through he explained the entire situation to the 9-1-1 operator and as the weather started to get normal, the driveway of the Skimmers' household was flooded with police cars and pera medics.

The guy was taken into police custody while Parker had his minor injuries tended but the boy Mikey was whole another discussion as he had multiple injuries and was severely malnourished. He was taken straight to the hospital rather than rushed.

The next couple of days were tiresome for the Skimmers' brothers as they had to answer a lot of questions from the detectives as to what happened storm's night, and the date of Micah's case was getting near so Parker had a lot on his mind. Parker and Dalton both were asked a series of questions like

What was the guy doing?

What all did he say?

Why did you take Mikey?

Questions like such were asked and they both answered it to the best of their knowledge. Once the statements were finally taken and registered in the police record. Parker got out and saw that in another interrogation room, Mikey was sitting surrounded by the police it appeared as if the police brought him to the station only to record his statements, and once he was done, he would probably go back, he was looking much better than before, and his bruises were healing, there was an officer standing right outside the door, he asked the officer 'What will happen to Mikey?'

'He doesn't have a family and he's 18 so probably he'll be allowed to go out when he's fine'

'Go where? He doesn't have any parents and given how he looks it's quite hard to believe that he is 18.'

'I don't know but the state will not take his responsibility.'

'But why was I subjected to all that torture and everything?'

'We don't know the details yet but it seems like the boy got caught up by a drug lord and apparently, he knows some secret about the drug lord, that being the reason they wanted to kill him so that their truths could be silenced forever. We'll know more obviously after the interrogations.'

'After the interrogations am I allowed to take him home with me?'

'Well like I said he's 18 and he has the right to go anywhere he wants.'

Both of them then quietly looked at the rest of the interrogations, the only reason he was allowed to be in was because he was with him the whole time and morally it would be wrong not to let him.

Parker somehow saw Micah in him and for some reason, he had that urge to protect him. That being the reason, Parker visited the hospital the following day.

'Hey how have you been?' he asked as he stepped into his room. Mikey was looking so tiny with all the syringes and machines attached to it.

'Hey, I'm good, what about you?' he replied as his face brightened after seeing a familiar face.

'I'm good.'

'I never thanked you for saving me that day'

'There's no need for that. So, I don't know how to say this but I know you're 18 and have no parents, so..' he was fumbling for the first time.

'What do you want to say?'

'I just want to say that, you're welcome to stay with us.'

It came as a shock to the young boy as no one had ever shown him any kindness and he was there with them for one night and to think that they would show such kindness his heart just couldn't take it and he burst into tears.

Parker not knowing what happened just brought him into a hug. The boy never felt the warmness of love and compassion and he melted into the arms wrapped around him. Parker being aware of the trauma he went through just let him be like that and they stayed like that for some time before, Mikey said, 'Thank you, I would love to stay with you guys'

Day before trial

Mikey was discharged from the hospital and Parker brought him home, while Dalton and Sophie got the house ready for him. The boy was when arrived was met with a delightful scene. A home. A home that he never had until now but now he did. He was beyond happy.

Parker gave him a tour of the entire house and as he was showing him the house. 'Whose room is this?' he asked pointing to a room.

'It was Micah's room, my little brother.'

'Where is he now?'

'He was killed and tomorrow his killer will be sentenced to the death penalty'