[13]

"Where is she?" I asked the receptionist.

"Sir, you're going to have to be more specific." She responds flatly. I quickly glance around the waiting room searching for my brother. Ceaser said he'd wait for me out here, but he's nowhere in sight.

"I need to see Alyona Devin" My heart fluttered as I said her name and I mentally cursed myself out for allowing myself to feel giddy. 

I'm not even sure what possessed me to come here. I guess I couldn't live with myself knowing she was hurt. 

As she went to type, the elevator doors opened to reveal Ceaser with a relaxed countenance.

"She's on the 4th floor in room 164." I forgot the woman was even there. I was so lost in Ceaser's eyes. Looking for any sign that he was faking his relaxed appearance. 

I made my way to the table next to the elevator where Ceaser was standing and he had a smirk on his face. "Well, you clearly couldn't stay away from her for long." I punch him in his arm and he chuckles. "I just wanted to make sure she was healthy enough to tell me where her father is." I'm lying and Ceaser knows that I'm lying.

"Yeah okay." The elevator doors open...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ceaser got off on the floor below Alyona's to check and see if there were any snacks in the cafeteria so I was left alone to find her room. 

I walked past it twice before Carmello finally saw me and pulled me into the room. When he pulled me in the only thing my attention grasped was her. She laid in the hospital bed looking fragile and tense with pain. I wanted to get in bed and hold her until she felt better, but my self-control saved me in time and told me to keep a distance.

Leighton looks between Alyona and me a few times with suspicion. "Let's give Callen and Alyona some time alone." She says as she walks out of the room with everyone trailing behind her.

Alyona and I look at each other in silence before I let my walls down and sit on the edge of the bed, resting my hand on her leg.

She shifts over and refuses to make eye contact. My heart twitched and a frown threatened to appear on my face, but I masked it and pretended like it didn't bother me.

"I brought you something," I reached into my coat pocket, pulling out one of the books she asked me for.

She smiles, but quickly masks it.

"I-I can't read. I have a concussion." She spoke quietly, letting the book sit on her lap. She's still looking in the opposite direction and I place my hand close to her leg. "I'm sorry," I whisper. Scared to apologize out loud. "You didn't seem sorry when I was in your office." I watch her wipe away a quick tear, returning her arms in a crossed position. 

I don't know what else to say so we sit in silence, listening to the clock tick until she finally speaks. "Do you visit all your hostages in the hospital and bring them bribery gifts?" She says through tears, slowly bringing her attention to me. When I watch the tears fall from her eyes, I lean over and wipe them away without thinking. "Alyona-" She cuts me off. "Do you also do that to them? Because last time I checked you wanted nothing to do with me if it involved emotions." My heart twanged in my chest and I sat in silence searching for an answer. 

I couldn't tell her about how I didn't ever want to tell her that because she'd never belive me. "Callen, I want you to leave." I don't fight her words. I deserve it. I look at her one more time before walking out and walking past my friends. Ignoring their questions.

I made my way to my car and rested my head against the steering wheel. "Why do I have to fuck everything up" I whisper to myself. I'm about to pull out of the parking garage when I get an incoming call from Ceaser. 

"Hello?" I ask, questioning why he was calling me.

"Don't panic, but-" Oh no. "-Alyona's brain started swelling more than it should have and they're taking her into surgery."

Fuck this is all my fault. If I wouldn't have pissed her off she wouldn't have been distracted and fell.

"Do you need me to come back? She didn't really want me there the first time."

"You have to. The only way we could see her is if we were related in some way and you got stuck being put down as her husband." Holy shit. She's actually going to hate me. 

"Why the fuck couldn't you have put me down as her brother or cousin?" Ceaser giggles like this shit is a fucking game.

"It would've been suspicious if she had 4 brothers and they only let immediate family so the only other option was husband because you definitely aren't old enough to be her dad." I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration. I'm going to have to buy a lot of books for her forgiveness.

I turn my engine off and walk into the hospital praying she's stable enough to go along with it. 

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

When I made it to her room she smiled at me. "Here my husband is!" She lazily exclaims. She must've just gotten off some sort of sedation. Her eyes are dazed and he words are slurred. To sell the scene I rush to her side and hug her. While I'm hugging her I go to whisper to her, but before I can she beats me to it. "You better buy me every damn book in the country or you're never seeing me again" I pull away and she's still fake smiling while batting her eyelashes.

She's so two faced and I'd be lying if i said it didn't turn me on a little bit. 

I sit on the edge of the bed and look her in the eyes while tucking her soft brown hair behind her ear. "I'll always be here for you whenever you need me honey." I put emphasis on the last word, trying not to cringe as I say it. "You guys are so sweet." Leighton calls from behind me and I turn and give her a death glare. 

I already know that I'm never going to hear the end of this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks for reading and merry christmas!!

i'm so thankful for all of you guys and i love you <3

~lia