Chapter 7: The Uncertain Future

Previous Chapter:

Our laughter fills the room and all of a sudden the boring grey walls are painted bright blue and the single desk is transformed into a massive study table, complete with shelves. The boring room seems brighter, prettier, and very unboring with laughter. And for the first time, I finally understand what people mean when they say that laughter is the best medicine.

As I open the door, Joseph's voice stops me.

"Oh, Keira! By the way, your code name will no longer be Angel for this mission. Your code name is Rose."

WARNING: The following chapter contains offensive language and could make readers uncomfortable or trigger trauma. Please read at your own risk.

Chapter 7:

2 days to go. Joesph told me the detailed information of departure yesterday when we met again. On the 24th of April, a private jet organised by the SSI will take me to Rome, Italy. There, I will search the entire goddamn city to find the other 5 members of my team.

The good thing is, they'll also be looking for me so hopefully, we'll just bump into each other on the streets. How will I know they are my agents? Apparently they will have a tattoo. One, small little tattoo somewhere on their body (which apparently nobody knows about other than the person who gave them the tattoo). I have one too.

It's a bird. A simple, black bird soaring through the sky. Except it's not soaring because the unfortunate thing exists on our skin and is flying, flying, flying and getting nowhere. Sounds a lot like my life to be honest. 

Mine's on the right side of my waist, just above my hip-bone. It looks quite hot, not gonna lie. If I wear a nice white crop-top and khaki cargo pants with a cream coloured side pouch, it'll be exposed and I'll be smoking hot. I just have to make sure it's showing so that the others can recognise it.

Anyway, after finding my 5 nincompoops, we all have to go on a lovely bonding trip to find the unknown bastards trying to destroy the world. Oh and the weapon too.

Joseph will give me a bag. It's the only thing I bring with me. Not even my phone. He said the bag will contain a walkie-talkie, a torch, 3 spare agent outfits, a bunch of casual outfits, 2 weapon slings, another bag with god knows what inside, knives, guns, and a phone tapped by the SSI to use found information to help discover the weapon, and also to ensure our safety. By 'safety' they really mean to check if we're dead or not so they can stop wasting resources. 

...

Yep! That's the whole plan! That's all the details! How lovely! This'll be a breeze for sure.

So here I am, sitting on my couch in my oversize top and underwear, sipping vodka and really, really, rethinking my life choices. 

Maybe, if mum, dad and Lewis hadn't left me, maybe, I might not be here today, about to go die for the world.

Man, why does my life have to be so much like a movie? A secret life from the world. A depressing past. A huge life decision which I know I'm gonna regret but I'm just too much of a softie for. 

Heh.

All I'm missing is romance. Yes, that's right. When will I finally be ready to accept romantic love again? It's not like I haven't dated before. 

And for a moment I forget why I don't date anymore. For a moment I want strong arms to hold me with love and warmth. I want a deep, husky voice to whisper sweet nothings in my ear. I want to be vulnerable just for a moment.

But then its gone. The thoughts, the imagination is gone becuase I'm not a princess-y little girl anymore. I'm not a bitch that will wag her tail at the door, waiting for her boyfriend to feed her some cock. And definitely not for a certain someone with straw blonde hair, bright green eyes, and a strong, sharp jawline.

But as quickly as the thoughts entered my mind, they were easily pushed out, making me refocus on my impromptu plan.

Ria has already left. 

All her stuff has been moved to an apartment in the city, just 3 minutes away from the SSI. 5 bodyguards, entirely in black suits, appeared at our door at exactly 3:00 this afternoon and 2 of them were waiting outside the apartment entrance. 

Of coarse, she was shocked and confused. Well, if you call an attempt to beat up 2 grown men as an act of shock then yes, that's exactly what she did. But since they were bodyguards, she couldn't exactly just pull out her inner Kung Fu Panda, she was pinned to the ground within 30 seconds of her attack. 

They explained everything to her and sitting on the couch, I watched as her expression turned from confusion to fear to anger to betrayal. 

It took another 1 hour for me to persuade her and when I told her that I had put my life on the line as soon as I started working as an agent, she understood. 

I watched the black BMW leave our street, closely followed by another black BMW. 

I open up my laptop and the first thing I type into google is map of Italy.

If I'm going to have to go to a foreign country, I might as well try to familiarise myself with its cities and streets. 

I sit there, for god knows how long, staring into the blue of the screen and ignoring the deafening silence threatening to swallow me whole, ignoring the lump in my throat of the upcoming fear. I don't even realise when I've dozed off and the next thing I know, sunlight is spilling through the windows and the sounds of cars fill the silence of the morning.