Picnic on the Beach

Casey just picked me up and we are headed back to his house. We are sitting in the car. He has his dad's old red Dodge Neon. We were hand in hand, blasting music with the windows rolled down. Life was perfect. The Florida weather was holding out for us today. We're hoping to get a quick picnic on the beach before it starts raining later.

"I don't know how I got so lucky" He says when we pull up to a red light. He was talking loudly. The music was still turned up too loudly.  

"What?" I ask. I heard him I just wanted to be annoying.

"I said I don't know how I got so lucky" He repeats.

"I can't hear you' I slightly yell over the music.

"I'll tell you later"

We arrive at his house and I unbuckle. He gets out of the car while I stay seated. He runs in front of the car to the passenger side and opens my door. He loves doing that. "Thank you" I say and give him a quick kiss on the lips.

"Anytime" He says back.

We head inside. Right away I am greeted by Casey's dog, Dino. A dog named Dino. I love it. He is a German Shepherd mix.

"Hi Dino" I bend down to pet him.

His mom is waiting in the living room for us. She comes over to greet me and gives me a hug. My mom would never hug Casey.

Let me just say I am going to be well off when I marry Casey. The house is huge. You walk into a front entrance, to the left is the kitchen with a dining room attached to it. There is also an entrance to the garage through the kitchen. Corey's dad loves working on old cars so I'm sure he is in there now. To the left of the front entrance is the living room with an office attached to it. There is a pool and a hot tub outside. There are 4 bedrooms. One downstairs belonging to his parents and three upstairs. One is Casey's, then one is a guest bedroom and the last has slowly been turning into Casey's second bedroom. He doesn't have any siblings so that'll happen.

"What are you two planning on doing today?" His mom asks.

"I'm going to take Harper for a picnic on the beach," He says.

"That's so sweet. Let me make you two lunch to bring"

She loves us together. She's been planning our wedding since our first date. A few weeks ago I went to a family barbecue with them and she had a little too much to drink and was going on and on about how she can't wait to go wedding dress shopping with me one day.

"Thanks, mom"

"Thanks, Mrs. Singsen"

We head to his second bedroom. He sat on the floor while I sat in the bean bag chair he keeps in front of the TV for when he plays video games.

"Wanna play something?" He asks motioning to the TV.

"Sure" I say. He never lets me play video games with him. I always sit and watch or go on TikTok while he plays with his friends. His friends must not be awake yet. Then I get attention from him in between matches.

He starts going through his collection of cases. He has a small bookshelf next to the TV containing all of them. "How does Mario Kart sound?"

"Sounds perfect. I haven't played that game since I was a child on my Wii"

He puts the disc into his Xbox, grabs two controllers, and hands me one. I stayed sitting in the bean bag while he sat on the floor next to me. He picks the world and we load in.

3

He sits up a little closer to the TV.

2

I hear his wheels start revving.

1

I didn't go the second the timer went off. I couldn't figure out which button was used to move. After a couple of seconds of hitting random buttons, I figured it out and took off. I was obviously in 12th place. I kept hitting walls which slowed me down and at one point I was just completely going in the wrong direction. I probably would have come in last if I didn't get the rocket power up at the very end. Casey got 1st obviously while I came in 8th.

We played a couple more matches I came in 12th for one of them and the other I came in 4th. Casey came in 1st and then 5th. I think he tried to let me win that game I came in 4th. I was getting better as we went. At least I'm a better driver than a Mario Kart racer.

We start heading to the beach around 1 o'clock. We played a few different games. It was fun. After a while, I was getting bored though. Casey's mom made us a big lunch, sandwiches, chips, sodas, a salad, and fruit. She really went all out. We weren't super hungry yet so we decided on taking a walk down the beach.

The beach isn't very crowded today. There are a few parents with kids. I guess that makes sense, it is a Thursday. We start walking. The waves were crashing on our feet. I look out to the water. I should have brought a bathing suit. It is hot out today. The water would help a little bit but it would still probably feel like a hot tub.

"I want to live in a beach house," Casey says.

"Really?" I ask. We always talk about future kids, weddings, and vacations. I guess dreaming up our future house should have been one of the first things we did.

"Yes. I would love to be able to just walk out the door in the mornings and be on the beach. I could start drinking coffee and I could drink it while sitting in a beach chair while the kids play in the sand. Oh, and I can get a jet ski. I've always wanted one." He says. "Doesn't that sound great?" He asks.

"My whole goal is to just leave Florida," I say. The thought of staying in my hometown disgusts me. No one ever leaves. I don't want to get trapped.

"We could live in a beach house in a different state. Maybe a state where it snows. I would love to see snow on the beach" He says.

"I've always thought about Massachusetts. There is just something about it. Maybe it is all the colleges." I say.

"Have you ever been?" He asks.

"Not yet. It is top of my bucket list" I say.

"I went once a few years back. My dad took me on a business trip. We stayed in Boston for a few days and then went to Cape Cod for more of a vacation vibe" He says.

"Wow, and you didn't take me with you," I say.

"I didn't even know you yet," He says.

"I guess I can excuse it then," I say.

"Wait that is actually perfect. I'll go to a Florida school, you can go to Massachusetts and then once we graduate we can move to Cape Cod and get out beach house. The Atlantic Ocean is right there. They must have one." He has always wanted to go to a Florida school. Just to party, not to study.

"That sounds so cute. Preferably in a small town," I say.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him stop walking. I stop too and look at him. He bends down and picks up a sea shell by his feet.

"Here it's for you," He says and hands it to me.

I smile. "Thank you" He is romantic I'll give him that. He always does small gestures like this.

We walk down the beach for a few more minutes before going back to the car to get the food. He grabs the cooler and the blanket. We find a spot away from people. Our little date was absolutely perfect. We talked and ate and he fed me strawberries. After the craziness of this week, I was happy to get to spend time with him.