Sneaking Out

{y'all I'm finally on spring break. I've been a little behind on updates recently so I'm going to try and update everyday this week (Mon-Fri). Consider this my Monday update}

3 am;

Let me be clear, it is not 3 am on the dot. It is more like 3:45 now and Jessie still hasn't come into my room. I get things have been a little out of the ordinary for us recently but I hope she won't be avoiding me. Did I say something that upset her today at the diner? No way, we had the most surface-level conversations. The most reasonable thing would be that she's sleeping. I swear I have no idea when that girl sleeps. She goes to sleep around at least 4 am and is always up when my mom makes breakfast which is usually around 9.

As I'm getting lost in my thoughts I hear the door to the guest bedroom open. Finally. I wait a few seconds for my door to swing open but it never does. Instead, I hear our front door open quietly and then slam shut. Did she just sneak out?

I rush to the hall bathroom and look out the tiny window above the shower. I see her get into a green 4-door car and it drives up our street. I don't know what came over me. I quickly snap a picture of the license plate. I rush to my room and grab my keys. I run down the stairs and out the door to my car and drive in the direction they went.

As I start to reach the end of my street I see the car is stopped at the red light. I slow down a bit so I won't be right behind them. The light turns green and they make a right-hand turn. I speed up so I won't get caught in the red light and lose them. I continue to follow them.

The streets were empty. I don't know where she would be going at almost 4 am on a Wednesday and with whom. No offense but it is not like she has friends here.

They turn down the road two streets down from mine, Collin's parents live there. Did something happen? Why would she get picked up by them so late? The street is quiet and doesn't have much traffic so it would be weird for me to do a drive-by. She would know I was following her. I did it anyway.

We pass the house and their car keeps going. That's odd. We drive to the end where there is an entrance to a private beach. I want to go down so bad but the driveway looks long and narrow. I would seem crazy if I did. I make a left-hand turn since that is the only other way I can go that wasn't a U-turn. A U-turn would look suspicious.

I know the backroads so I got home in about 2 minutes. I go inside quietly and see my mom sitting on the couch. Shit.

"Where did you two go?" I expected her to sound angry. She didn't. There was no emotion in her voice once so ever. It makes it even worse. I was quiet for a couple of seconds. "Wait where's Jessie"

"She um" I didn't want to get her in trouble. I have never gotten caught sneaking out before. I must have left in a frenzy and wasn't too quiet which caused her to wake up.

"Harper, where is she." There was more anger in her voice. She was warning me to tell her. I could tell she was a bit worried too but didn't want to show it.

"She snuck out. Someone picked her up. I don't know who. I heard her leave and ended up following her and she went to a beach on the same road as her grandparent's house. I would have kept following her but it was small and that would be weird" I say as quickly as possible. She takes a sigh of relief.

"Thank you for telling me. Next time just come get me instead of taking it upon yourself." She stands up and grabs her car keys from the hook next to the door.

"Where are you going?"

"To go get her"

"Can you do me a favor" I ask. She doesn't verbally respond. "Can you just not tell her I was following her"

"Yes" She says and walks out the door.

I go up to my room and lie in my bed. I scrolled through TikTok while waiting for them to get back. I hear her car pull up about 5 minutes later. They must be sitting in the car talking. It takes them a while to come inside. I hear them quietly walk up the stairs and say goodnight to each other. A few moments later I get a text from my mom.

Mom:
Your secret is safe with me. She is fine. She was just with her cousin.