First Family Dinner

{Hi everyone! I hope you're enjoying Step Sisters so far. I made a little Spotify playlist to listen to while you read. I'll put the link here but also put it in my bio. It's a mix of summer music, sapphic music, songs I was listening to as I wrote the first story, and anything else I thought could relate to the book

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/51FZ5aOSqdTaPzsyUaYJY9?si=PRLSGJH-TJSq4W-oSQOZGw&pi=u-S3D90z3pS0uz

Enjoy the chapter!}

Casey and I had a good day today. It wasn't anything particularly out of the ordinary. I would call it just a day in the life of us. We always go on little dates like that. I would have loved to spend the rest of the day with him and maybe slept over at his house but my mother made plans for us tonight. Anyway, I'm off to do awkward step-family activities. We just pulled up outside of the restaurant.

"Bye Case. I'll hopefully see you tomorrow" I say and kiss him.

"Do you really have to go?" " He asks.

"I wish I didn't. I think my mother would kill me if I pulled a no-show after some of the stuff I've said the past few days." I say.

"I'd rather have you alive than hang out with you for one night" He says.

I smile. "Great flirting there, Casey. Really a 10 out of 10" I say and open my door.

He laughs. "Have fun" He says.

"I won't" I close the door and start heading inside.

My mom and the rest of them were already inside. The restaurant is cute. There was a bar when you walked in and the seating was to the right of the door. The four of them were waiting by the hostess stand. They must have been waiting for me.

"Hi, guys. Was I late?" I ask. My mom told me to be on time. I wasn't.

"Yeah, you were. We'll pretend we were all early" My mom says.

"Great" I say.

The host takes us to the table. I sat next to Jessie and my mom sat next to her boyfriend across from us. Levi sat at the head of the table.

"How was seeing your parents or grandparents?" My mom asks the three of them to make small talk.

"It was fun" Jessie says.

"Yeah, they missed us" the dad says. I would really love to learn his name. Calling him homewrecker boyfriend seems a little mean now.

"I made cookies with grandma and ate a lot of cookies" Levi says.

"That's good" My mom says. "And you how was your day?" My mom asks me.

"Good" I say.

"What did you do?" She always asks so many questions. I don't want to tell her what I do with my boyfriend and I hope she doesn't tell me what she does with hers.

"He picked me up. We went back to his house for a little bit. We then went for a walk and picnic on the beach" I say.

"Aw that's cute" She says.

We ordered our food. I got a steak. If the boyfriend is paying I may as well go big or go home. It's a reimbursement for the inconvenience he has caused me. He's gonna be paying my therapy bills soon too. My mom and her boyfriend then went into a conversation. Levi sat and colored his kid's menu. Jessie helped him a bit. I think they were playing tic tac toe. I wanted to start a conversation with her but I didn't know what to talk about.

"What's your favorite place in town?" She turns to ask me a few moments later since she is done with the game.

"Well, that beach near my house is like my second home. That's where I went today. I love going to the shops in town. My favorite is this cute little thrift store called The Hanger. The diner is another place I go a lot. Casey and I make it a point to go at least once a week. Other than that we will just hang out at my friends' houses. Also, Orlando is close enough that I could just go there whenever I want." I say. "Why do you ask?"