Camp Counselor

{y'all pls cut me some stack with the rest of this book. I completely changed the storyline from the OG so I'm struggling a bit. Just out of curiosity (and it will help with writing the rest of the chapters) who has read the original Step Sisters?

Anyway, I listened to Dylan Mulvaney's song in full for the first time last night and it's a bop}

Mom decided I needed a distraction after the other day's events so she signed me up to work at Levi's baseball camp today. They have full-time counselors but they are always open to more help. Being the daughter of one of the teachers at the school means I get a better job than others. Other people do jobs like cleaning and feeding the kids. I am going to get to help out with his group today. I did it once last year for a 1st-grade girls' group when a counselor was sick. It was ok, I wasn't the biggest fan of it. I can't really complain though I'm getting paid $15 an hour.

I haven't told Jessie about the breakup yet. We've been texting each other every day and we'll call or video chat every night at 3 am. I just feel like this is something I want to tell her in person. I haven't talked to Casey. He texted me once asking to pick up my stuff from his house and to drop off his stuff. I ignored it though. I really don't want to have to face him or his family.

"Harper, Levi are you ready?" My mom calls from downstairs.

"One sec" I yell back.

I hear Levi leave his room. "I'm ready" He yells down to her.

I lace up my sneakers and start heading downstairs. I'm wearing a T-shirt I got from school and a pair of athletic shorts. I also have my hair up in a pony which I rarely do. I figured I should look the part. I haven't played baseball in years. Hopefully, I don't hit a kid in the face with the ball. We won't spend all day playing baseball. They break it up with other activities in between to hold the kid's attention spans.

I grab my keys. We say bye to my mom and Collin then head out.

"I call shotgun" Levi runs to the car.

"In your dreams," I say. "You're sitting in the back."

"That's not fair. My dad lets me sit in the front"

"Your dad has been driving since before I was born," I say. He laughs.

I put his gear in the trunk and drive to my mom's school. It was a quick drive. It takes less than 5 minutes. I turn the radio on and Levi starts dancing in the back seat. He was very excited this morning. He loves camp. He is starting to make friends. Me being his counselor for the day was the icing on the cake.

We arrive at my mom's school. We get out of the car and grab his stuff. He shows me where his group meets in the mornings. We get to the group and are immediately greeted by a bunch of children. A majority of them know me from either Levi talking about me or being my mom's former students. The three other counselors greet me. One girl I go to school with but we barely talk. Her name is Layla. The other two are college students named Grayson and Malachi.

Our first activity for the day was a steal the bacon style game. It is meant to teach the kids how to catch ground balls. We split the kids into two teams and assigned them each a number. When we call out their number they are supposed to run out to get the ball and then throw it to home plate. I am having fun. Layla and I went against each other once just for fun. The kids loved it.

Levi has the time of his life here. He comes home every day telling us all about it. He loves his new friends. Then he absolutely crashes fifteen minutes later.

Our second activity is arts and crafts, obviously baseball-themed. They are making baseball-shaped sand art. I am making one too. I choose pink, blue, and purple for my colors. It has always been my favorite color combo but even more so now.

Our third activity is an "obstacle course". I sat this one out. The kids are supposed to hit a baseball off a tee at home plate and then run to first base. Each base had a bucket of balls and they were supposed to take a ball, hit a target, and keep running to the next one. Each kid went one at a time. The kids that were waiting were cheering on their friends.

We went back to lunch after the obstacle course. I sat with Levi and got to know some of his camp friends better. They were sweet. They thought it was cool I was "Levi's sister". I think they thought I was Jessie. Afterwards we went back to more baseball. They did a little scrimmage against one another. It was fun. The counselors and I got to be referees, they gave us the shirts and everything.

The kids were starting to get tired so we skipped the next scheduled activity which was some type of endurance training. The other counselors told me the kids hate it every week. We took them into the schools gym where their was ac to run around and use the basketball nets. They loved it. 

After their little basketball game it was time to go home. I was driving Levi home obviously. On a normal day Collin and my mom would come and pick him up. He spent the entire time in the car begging me to come back tomorrow. The second we got home he went into his room and fell asleep.