Future Bridesmaids

{y'all I just have to give the disclaimer that I wrote this chapter while drunk and then edited it just now while also drunk. Expect updates in the morning}

3 am;

I'm lying in bed endlessly scrolling. I'm exhausted after today or technically yesterday but still can't sleep. I feel a shift happening in my life. I don't know what it is. I think it is a Casey thing. I have never gotten annoyed with him or mad at him but that text he sent me today rubbed me the wrong way. I never answered back. He at least took the hint because he apologized and sent me a goodnight text. I still didn't answer. Don't even get me started with Jessie. Why was she reading my texts over my shoulder? That was so weird.

"Harper" Jessie whispers and peeks her head through the door.

"We spent all day together. What do you want now?" I ask and sit up.

"I like to talk to you without anyone around," She says.

"Come sit I guess," I say.

She starts walking towards my bed.

"Wait" I start. "if you want to sit you have to agree to let me find you someone this summer" I don't know why I am meddling in her love life when mine looks to be heading into a dumpster fire. Ok, that's a bit of an over-exaggeration. It was one lowkey shitty text.

"I'm not doing that," She says.

"Well, I guess you can't sit then" She sits down in front of me anyway.

"Why do you even want to?" She asks.

"So we can go on double dates together," I say.

"I would rather not"

"Fine but I'm mad you never posted the picture of me and you," I say.

"I'll do it right now," She says.

She went on her phone and posted it. I only know because I got the notification. I hope she used the caption I suggested. "What are you doing tomorrow night?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"I'm going to a party my friend, Alyssa, is having. Want to come?" I ask.

"I've never been to a party before," She says.

"Really? I have to take you then" I say.

"I'll talk to my dad" That sounds like a no.

"Can we talk about Casey?" She asks.

"Sure," I say.

"Do you love him?" She asks.

"What type of question is that?" I ask.

"A yes or no one," She says. Very funny Jessie.

"Yes of course I love him. He may be a pain in my ass especially today but he is my boyfriend" I say.

"What did he do?" She asks. We both know she read those texts.

"Don't worry about it" She gives me a weird look but then continues as normal. "What do you think of my dad?"

I feel like there is a secret she is keeping from me right now. Maybe she is throwing me a surprise party just because and wants to know who to invite.

"I'm rooting for their break up so I never have to see him again" May as well be honest. She looked a little offended.

Again, she brushes it off. "I don't think they are breaking up anytime soon"

"Why?"

"Because my dad bought your mom an engagement ring," She says.

I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from screaming. No, I don't want my mom to get remarried. That man does not deserve my mom and my mom does not deserve to be happily married to someone a year after she caused my parents divorce. Jessie living here full-time doesn't sound half bad. I kind of like having some more freedom since she is here.

"You're kidding," I say.

"I'm not. I wasn't supposed to tell you though. Levi doesn't even know" She says.

"I better not have to be a bridesmaid" Can you imagine? Being the bridesmaid maybe even maid of honor in the wedding where my mom married the man she cheated on my dad with.

"You probably will. First, he has to ask her and she has to say yes so you have time or maybe won't have to do it at all." She says.

"I know my mom. She will say yes" She's been acting like a teenager in love recently.

"Why didn't you go to your dad's house tonight?" She asks.

"I told him I was drained from Legoland and just wanted to go home and sleep after dinner. I'm going tomorrow morning. I'll be home Monday night" I say.

"Ok" She says.

"I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning" She says and stands up.

I knew what was coming next after last night's 3 am talk so I don't know why I did this. She starts to lean down to kiss my cheek like she did yesterday. As she was doing that I had something to say to her. I really can not remember what though.

"Wait Jess-" I start and turn my head and am met with a pair of soft lips on mine. I pull away almost immediately. Almost. We both looked at each other in shock. She leaves without saying a word.