Dear Harper

{happy Wednesday!! Sorry for the lack of updating recently, I've been working nonstop on a final project for school. I hope y'all like this one 👀}

I wake up and check my phone. 8:37. She is gone. Her flight left at seven.

I roll back over and close my eyes. I am beat from last night. We didn't end up having our 3 am talk last night. I thought a drunk talk would be fun. Instead, I went into my room and cried over some boy. I've been dating that boy for a year and a half but still, some boy. She comforted me. She sat here and held me while I cried. At two I kicked her out. She needed to be up early and I didn't want her to miss her flight. I should probably see if that boy texted me.

I roll back over and pick up my phone when I notice the little envelope on my nightstand alongside a glass of water and a bottle of ibuprofen. I know exactly who left it. No way some boy would ever do that. I pick up the letter. My pounding headache can wait. It has my name in the middle with little hearts drawn around it. She's so cute. I open it up and read it.

Dear Harper,

I'll see you when I come back and I will miss you so much. Have fun with Levi these next few weeks. He will probably see you as more of a sister by the time I come back. I just wanted to tell you I came into your room this morning and kissed you on the cheek. You're a really heavy sleeper. You didn't even flinch. I told my dad I thought left my shoes in your room so he wouldn't suspect anything. Don't worry too much about Casey. He was just drunk last night. I left water and ibuprofen on your desk. I love you and I will see you soon

Love,
Jessie

She's so sweet. I wish I could just hug her right now. I put the note in my nightstand drawer so no one saw it. I pick my phone up and look at my notifications. I had one text from Casey from last night.

Casey 💌: 4:41am

I shouldn't have left you at the club like that. We'll talk in the morning.

My stomach dropped. I don't know why I'm nervous. He stated he was in the wrong for leaving me. He was up late last night. We got home around midnight. I'm not responding. I'll call him a little later.

I head downstairs and my mom, Collin, and Levi look like they're about to leave.

"Good morning" I say. "Where are you going?"

"Levi's first day of baseball camp, remember?" My mom says.

"Oh yeah" I say.

"Do you want to come?" She asks. "We're going to get breakfast at the diner after we drop him off"

The thought of going to that diner makes me want to vomit.

"No thank you. I'm going to stay here" I say.

"Ok. We'll see you in a bit" My mom says.

We say bye to each other and they leave. The house to myself for the first time in almost a month. Perfect. This is exactly what I need right now. I go back upstairs, pull the note out of my drawer, and reread it. I start feeling butterflies in my stomach. Once I read it for a now third time I put it back.

I go on my phone and scroll through Twitter. I want to wait a little bit before texting or calling Casey.

About an hour later I finally a text from him.

Casey 💌: 10:11am

Are you awake?

I call him as opposed to texting. It seems more mature.

"Hey" I say when he answers the phone.

"Hey look I know I messed up last night but" I cut him off.

"I'm home alone. Could you just come over so we can talk?" I ask.

"I'll be there in 10" He says and hangs up the phone.

I decide to go and get dressed in the meantime. I do not want to do this conversation in my pajamas. Once I am done getting ready I get a text from him saying he was here.

I go downstairs to the front door and get him. We say hi, no kiss or anything. It was awkward. We start heading up to my room.

"How are you feeling?" I ask as we we sit down on the bed.

"Like shit" He says. He didn't look too great either.

"Want me to get you a water?" I ask.

"That would be great" He says, completely deadpan. Ew, I hate him.

I head downstairs to the kitchen and get a cup of water. I walk into my room and see him sitting here with my nightstand drawer open. He is reading the note from Jessie. Fuck me.

He looks up at me. I can tell he is pissed.

"Are you cheating on me?" He asks. He sounded normal besides the hint of anger.

"Casey, I need to have a serious talk with you" He just stares at me. "I just want to start with I haven't initiated anything with Jessie physically."

"So she has initiated things with you?" He didn't sound angry. He sounded normal.

I nod. "But I haven't been completely innocent. I did ask her to dance with me last night and I have been way too clingy with her while drunk."

"So you were cheating" He says. I can tell he is getting angry.

"Emotionally, yes" I say.

"That's just as bad." He says. "Can I ask for specifics?"

"You saw how I was cuddled with her at that party. When I walked her inside I tried to kiss her but she stopped me." I make eye contact with him. I see a look of rage in his eyes. "Then one night she kissed me on the cheek and I may have moved my head accidentally so she ended up kissing my lips"

He rolls his eyes. He stands up. "What the fuck Harper!" He yells. I stand up. "Just kiss my best friend or something next time! Don't kiss your literal fucking step-sister!" He continues yelling.

"They're not married!" I slightly raise my voice.

"That doesn't matter! I can't compete with a girl! If it was my best friend at least I would have a chance! Girls are much nicer than boys!"

I have to stop myself from laughing. He knows girls are so much better than boys. That's why he's mad. I'm not letting him yell at me though.

"Ok we'll maybe I wouldn't have cheated if you haven't been such a shitty boyfriend lately" I yell back at him.

"Don't turn this around on me! You're the one who cheated! That is way worse than anything I did and I apologized afterwards! It's not my fault you hold grudges!"

"Again maybe if you didn't do those things in the first place then maybe I wouldn't have! You are so clingy and obsessed with me when we're alone and then when we're around other people you become a completely different person" I yell.

"You're just like you mother" He yells.

"Excuse me?" I yell back.

That's when my door swings open. "Casey, you need to leave" My mother says. I was so wrapped up in this fight I didn't even hear her come back. How much of that did she hear?

He looked embarrassed. Good. "I was leaving anyway" He says and glares at me. "I think we should break up"

"I think we should too" I say.

He walks past my mother. He stomps his way down the stairs and slams our front door.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asks.

"Not with you" I say and she takes that as her cue to leave.

{I need to stop publishing these chapters without titles}