Kabanata 34

Serenity Hiraya

"My loveee!" Sinalubong ako ni Violet nang isang mahigpit na yakap pagkapasok ko pa lang sa gate.

"Vi!" I shrieked before hugging her back.

"OMG! Graduate na tayo! I'm so happy! Congrats, bebe!" She gave me a light kiss on my cheeks.

"Can we at least go inside? Mainit dito, oh!" Reklamo ko bago hinawakan ang kamay niya papunta sa kung saan kami dapat maghihintay.

I held her wrist while my other hand held the end of my dress. I was wearing a white ribbon strap midi dress that reached below my knees. I paired it with a beige three inch sandals. My mid length hair was tied in a half pony using a white ribbon. Lastly, I chose to wear contact lenses instead of my glasses.

Hawak ni dada ang toga ko na nakasunod lang sa amin ni Violet.

We took a lot of selfies and pictures with our classmates. Technically, this will be my last day with them—kung hindi kami mag year end party.

Nang magsimula na kaming mag-marcha ay aaminin kong masaya ako. Finally, after two years ng hard work, nagbunga na ito at ngayon ay aalis na ako ng senior high school.

However, despite the contentment I felt, I feel like there's something missing. I am satisfied and euphoric with my award but there's a peculiar ache in my chest that I cannot fathom.

Mas masaya siguro ako kung hindi ko pinagdaanan ang mga nangyari. Nevertheless, I cannot feel any remorse or regret meeting and loving Steven. Because of him, I learned a lot of lessons that I will surely take with me for the rest of my life.

Nagsimula ang pag-akyat ng mga students at pagkuha nila ng diploma sa ABM strand at sumunod sa GAS. Some parents are emotional as they accompany their child on the stage.

Nang HUMSS Strand na ay naunang pumila ang mga lalaki na naka alphabetically arranged. Pangalawa si Steven sa tatawagin pero kahit hindi pa natatawag ay rinig ko na ang palakpak nila Cameron.

"Alvarez, Kenji Steven, With Highest Honors. Class salutatorian..." they announced as he walked to the stage.

I kept my hand low but I was one of those who clapped hard. A lot of students were cheering for him, especially girls.

He received his diploma with a smile on his lips. Then, his eyes searched for someone. When our eyes met, I quickly avoided my gaze.

I don't want to look at him right now.

Pagkatapos ng mga lalaki ay kami na. Pangatlo ako sa tatawagin at kahit gano'n ay kinakabahan pa rin ako.

"Añasco, Serenity Hiraya, With Highest Honors. Class valedictorian..."

When I heard my name, I marched up the stage to receive my medal and diploma. The sounds of claps were almost deafening. They looked so happy and in awe—a proud expression was plastered on their faces.

So this is how it felt like? Ang sarap sa pakiramdam.

Pagkabalik namin sa upuan ay naghintay lang akong matapos makaakyat sa stage ang ibang estudyante bago ako muling tawagin.

"At this juncture, we shall listen to Serenity Hiraya Añasco, president lister and with highest honors from Humanities and Social Sciences for her valedictorian speech. Let's give her a round of applause."

My hand was shaking as I approached the stage. I already practiced standing in front of a lot of people but I still feel like something was stuck in my throat.

"Out of 29,556 words that start with the letter F, there is just one word that scares me the most. The word 'failure' would always ring a bell in my mind and would create a scenario where I could see sad faces and rivers of tears. I envisioned that word as a place where the judging eyes of people would drain my blood and slowly bring me to my knees," I paused. I looked at the students and parents inside the gymnasium.