Raccoon Four

It was a bit of a surprise waking up to a raccoon snuggled against his chest, but as King began to come around from a deep sleep, he started remembering everything that had happened the day before and, technically, earlier that day.

"You really just tossed a random raccoon in a suitcase and brought him home, then gave him your Bahnbahn without a second thought," he mused quieted to himself as things began to sink in.

He felt Baron begin to stir a moment later, likely from him talking to himself, so he was extra careful when he reached over to his nightstand and retrieved the wallet he'd found with the raccoon.

Turning on his side slowly, he waited for Baron to adjust himself, then carefully began looking through the wallet. It was faded brown and worn with use, but also still in reasonable condition. He knew that there wasn't much cash in it, so he didn't bother with the little bit that was there.

Besides, he wasn't looking for money, anyways.

Ah, here we go.

He'd found a few credit cards, and one debit, but he just-barely glanced at them before pulling out a little crinkled photo that looked like it was taken out of its sleeve quite often to be looked at.

Cute kid.

Looking at the raccoon slowly stretching out against him, King cleared his throat quietly to make himself known, then spoke at about half his normal volume.

"Is this your baby girl?" he asked as he turned the little photo towards him.

Baron paused mid-stretch as his eyes opened to look at what he was being shown. King waited only a few moments before realization dawned in the animals eyes and it quickly rolled over and reached for the little picture.

He let him have it, and was rewarded with his sweet friend hugging the little piece of paper to his fuzzy chest as he began to make a quiet chattering sounds.

"She's a cutie," he said, earning the raccoon's attention for a brief moment before Baron settled back down against him, still hugging the photo lovingly.

You clearly love that little girl... but things got so bad that you felt you needed to end it all.

He didn't dwell on the thought for too long, because he didn't want to make himself depressed. Baron had made a decision that he'd felt was necessary. Thankfully, his raccoon, it seems, managed to take control at the last second and saved his life.

I wonder if you'll ever come back, though. It's not so bad now. I can even keep taking care of you if you don't want to go back to what you had.

He was a bit surprised at his own thoughts, but he didn't feel like he'd take the words back if he decided to say them out loud.

As he continued to think, he noticed Baron slowly roll out of bed, then thunk to the floor with a little squeak. He didn't seem surprised by the collision, however, and quickly stood back up to begin hobbling toward the door while on his back legs, holding the paper to his chest as carefully as possible.

"Where ya going, bud?"

Baron barely spared him a glance as he left his room, making King grin as he pushed himself up.

Man, I feel so much better now.

He just needed to be careful today and let his body rest before another big run... and raccoon kidnapping. After a quick bit of stretching, he began his quest to the laundry room, since he figured that was where Baron had gone, but before he could even make it out of his room, his phone began to ring on his bed.