Raccoon Five

Hauling up nearly a year's worth of groceries put some serious strain on King's old injuries. By the time his mom finished going over what he should be feeding Baron, and how often, she already had two charts hung up on his fridge with magnets, expertly designed with everything he needed to know... and quite a few things that he really didn't. 

"Alright, I think we're all set, mom. Thanks a lot for helping me with the groceries, and with him," King said as they both glanced at Baron, who was standing at the threshold to the kitchen on his back legs, holding Otterbahn in one arm and one of his new cat toys in his opposite hand. 

He was definitely curious about what was going on, but he didn't quite trust his mom enough to investigate while she was there yet. 

"I'll leave you two be then. If anything happens, please let me know. I'll also start looking into what happened with him. Maybe we can figure this out and find a way to bring him back to himself," she said as she pulled King in for a hug. 

He made a face at the physical contact, but returned the gesture anyways. He wasn't a hugger, but he'd always let him mom do it. But anyone else? Hell no. 

When his mom walked out of the kitchen, Baron quickly high-tailed it over to the couch, his little ball tingling as the bell rattled inside it. 

Once his mom stopped by the door, she waved to his little friend. 

"You be good, okay? Take care of my son." 

Before King could correct her she was out the door and gone, leaving him there with his mouth half open in confusion. 

Him? Take care of me?

Glaring at the now-closed door, King walked over and locked it, then promptly turned around to tell a certain raccoon exactly who was taking care of who, when his suddenly jumped, startled by the fact that Baron had silently run over to him in the time it took him to simply lock the front door. 

Ah, you left your cat ball by the couch. That's why I didn't hear you. 

"Maybe I should get you a collar with a bell on it. You're pretty sneaky when you want to be," he mumbled, then immediately decided against it. 

He knew that raccoon were normally nocturnal, and since Baron had used the bathroom at some point without him knowing, he didn't doubt that he'd been wandering around a bit at some point while he'd been asleep. 

His attention drifted away from his thoughts as he watched his friend wander into the kitchen with Bahnbahn in his arms. 

"Do you want something to eat?" he asked, surprised that he was hungry already. 

I guess it makes sense, though. You are pretty skinny and only had a banana and a few grapes. 

"Well, mom bought plenty of stuff, so what would you like?" he asked as he went to make himself a sandwich... then realized that he'd forgotten to get more bread. 

I... got cold cuts but no bread. 

He paused for a moment, shaking his head slowly at himself. 

You know what. That's not really a surprise. 

He was great at forgetting the most important things. Noticing Baron now at the fridge, King walked over and opened it for him. He expected the little guy to immediately go after some of the chicken, eggs, or other meats his mother had bought for him, but when Baron climbed up onto the middle shelf and wrapped his arms, and Bahnbahn, around the watermelon she'd picked up, King raised an eyebrow. 

"You... want that? You sure? That's it?" he asked as he reached forward and gently removed the raccoon from the fruit and set him back on the floor so that he could take the watermelon out of the fridge and get it cut for him.