Raccoon Twelve

He couldn't help but stare. 

They had both fallen asleep on the sofa, and while he'd intended to at least drape a blanket over Baron before he settled himself on the floor, that had evidently not happened... at all. 

It's more like I draped myself over him. Geez. 

Blushing, he carefully unwrapped his arm from around the man's warm back, then tucked it against his own chest. 

Once that action was completed, his mind, unfortunately, seemed content with the situation and wouldn't allow him to try and put anymore distance between them!

King had a tiny little panic attack because even with his arm now tucked against his chest with his other one, that didn't leave more than an inch of space between their foreheads, maybe two inches between his hands and Baron's gently moving chest, and their legs...

Yeah, those were still completely tangled up together. 

He couldn't even avert his eyes unless he closed them, and his willpower wasn't strong enough to even consider doing that. 

That nose... 

He could cry from the cuteness!

And now that he was close enough to really look at the guy without worrying about seeming weird, he didn't hesitate to take in the man's gorgeously-long eyelashes, smooth, pale lips, and had he already mentioned his nose? 

I really should stop being creepy. 

He was just about to force himself to at least close his eyes for a moment in the hopes of breaking the enchantment that was clearly cast on him when he suddenly realized something. 

Rex? 

He felt a faint response, like the flick of a tail within his mind, but something didn't feel quite right. 

Rexy? Are you alright, bud? 

He felt another, more dismissive nudge this time, but instead of coming from the back of his mind, it almost felt like the sensation was tickling his forehead...

Without realizing it, King found himself inching his head foreword on the couch cushion bit by bit as if he were moving to the forefront of his mind, trying to figure out what was going on with Rexy. 

As he wandered throughout his own thoughts, he couldn't find any trace of his little buddy, making him quickly grow more worried. 

Rexy? Sweetheart? Can you come here for just a moment? 

He heard his otter's dismissive chatter in response, but it sounded way too far away for his liking. 

Determined to at least find the little guy, King pressed on and, eventually, found himself in very unfamiliar territory. 

It's never been this dark inside my mind before... 

His legs were also feeling quite heavy, even though he had definitely gotten a good night's rest. 

Maybe it's because our legs are still tangled. 

That didn't make a whole lot of sense, but he wasn't sure what else would cause his legs to feel so heavy. 

Rexy? 

When he didn't get an immediate response like the other times he'd called for him, King felt his heartbeat pick up a bit. It continued to patter against his ribs as the area around him grew darker and darker. 

Rexy? Please come here.

He waited in the darkness, his beating heart the only sound keeping him company until, finally, he heard something else.