Raccoon Twenty-Three

(5299 words wut XD) 

Warm...

It felt like his cheap blankets had suddenly become the perfect temperature to snuggle up with on a cold winter night. 

King stretched his body out like a content cat, then released a long breath as he pressed his face against a solid warmth, then nuzzled happily. He could faintly hear something going off that sounded like one of his phone alarms, but it was clearly in another room. 

Not worth getting up...

"Babe?" 

King pressed his forehead against the warmth in front of him, earning a quiet chuckle that vibrated through the firm surface. 

"As much as I am enjoying having you in my arms, your alarm has been going off for some time," Baron's voice said next to his ear, making King grumble and turn his head so that he could try to disappear into the blankets. 

Baron was silent for a few more minutes before speaking again as his arms loosened from where they had been wrapped around him. 

"I should go turn it off, at least," Baron said, making King immediately reach forward to grab the man's shirt, but when his hand pressed against something warm and solid, and clearly not fabric, he blinked open one eye, then the other. A few more blinks and his vision was clear... and a blush darkened his face! 

"You look startled? Is everything okay? Did you have a bad dream?" Baron asked as he quickly sat up, worried. 

After a few moments of processing, King realized that he'd fallen back asleep after his mom had come to pick up Tili earlier. Her flight had been at four in the damn morning, but that didn't stop them from waking up early and making her a big breakfast, as well as some snacks for the trip. 

Baron had even carried her most of the time he was preparing things. His growing stress had been evident through their bond. 

When it had finally been time to say goodbye he'd been crushed, and honestly, King hadn't faired much better. Seeing that sweet girl cry as she was picked up in his mom's arms to be brought to the airport had made him want to scream. 

After she was gone they'd basically sat on the couch together in silence, watching an old movie and nibbling at some leftovers trying to distract themselves, but eventually he'd drifted off. 

He tried to remember how they'd ended up in his bed, and without Baron's shirt, but he was drawing a blank. 

"You fell asleep on the couch so I picked you up and brought you in here to sleep, but when I tried to let you go, you wouldn't release my shirt, so I ended up shrugging out of it," Baron said, making King slowly nod as he accepted his words. 

That all makes sense, but then why were we sleeping together? 

Baron grinned sheepishly, but King could tell that there was sadness behind the gesture. 

I wonder how long he's practiced hiding his pain for...

Baron's smile immediately slipped from his face as he lifted a hand up to rub at the back of his neck, averting his gaze. 

"I'm sorry I slid into bed with you. It was inappropriate." 

King watched as Baron sank into himself, clearly uncomfortable with his own decision. 

Honestly, if he'd been awake, he wouldn't have minded one bit if he'd gotten into bed with him.

No need to stress about such a thing.