Ethan & Maddie

This one shot is for @MaddieMooXIX
Hope you like it!

*Maddie's POV*

I sat next to Ethan, rubbing his back as he cried. His knuckles were white as he held onto his dad's hand, holding onto his life. The slow beeping made me shiver. Soon he would leave, and Ethan's heart would shatter.

I wiped his tears away and he hugged me tight, just like how I hugged him when my own parents were dying. I could see out of the corner of my eye, that he was still holding onto his dad's hand.

I could see Ethan leave with his dad. He was already fading away, the life gone from his eyes. The Ethan I knew my whole life, since we were kids, was going to leave me. I loved him, but I was too scared to tell him. We had always been friends, there for each other.

I watched him cry, every tear drowning his soul. I could feel my heart break as I watched him, and then it happened. The long, unending tone. I looked at the screen as a tear slid down my face. A green, never ending line. He was gone.

*Ethan's POV*

My breathing stopped as I heard it. That tone. He was gone. My dad was dead. The tears stopped for a moment and I felt lifeless. Then I lost control of myself. I screamed and shouted, begging my dad to come back. Maddie held onto me as I shook him.

The doctors and nurses came in and started checking him over. Maddie pulled me away and whispered soothing words to me. I continued to cry and Maddie stood by me, she was there for me.

I pulled her into a tight hug as they covered my dad's face with a blanket. He was gone. "It's ok Ethan, I'm here." Maddie whispered to me, hugging me just as tightly. I didn't want to let go of her. She was the only person left in my life.

"Mr and Mrs. Payne, the death certificate." I reluctantly pulled away from Maddie and looked down at the certificate. My dad was gone, but Maddie was here. "We're not-" Maddie started to say, but I grabbed her hand and squeezed it. We weren't married, but we spent our whole lives together. I wasn't surprised about the nurse thinking we were married, Maddie had been by my side the whole time.

Mr and Mrs Payne. I realised there was someone left that I loved, and maybe she loved me too. I held onto her as the doctors and nurses left the room, leaving us with my dad. I sat back down next to him, silent tears sliding down my face.

Maddie held my hand and continued soothing me with her words. She was always there. She had been with me for the last 5 hours, holding onto me like how I was holding onto my dad. I looked at her and she was looking back at me, love and sorrow in her eyes.

I got hold of her other hand and pulled her towards me so we were closer. "Thank you for being with me." I croaked, my voice hoarse from the screaming and crying. She shook her head and wiped my tears. "It's ok." She whispered. I pulled her into another hug and buried my face into her neck, silently crying. She hugged back, comforting me with her tight grip.

"I love you." I whispered into her neck, I felt her tense as I said it. She pulled away from me and looked into my eyes before whispering it back, "I love you too."

I leaned in and so did she, pushing our lips against each other. We kissed and broke apart, smiling a little. "I love you." I whispered again. "I love you too." She returned before hugging me tight. I hugged back, holding onto her.

She was perfect, everything about her was beautiful. I had finally realised that she was the person I could hold onto for as long as I lived. Just like my dad. I was never going to let her go.