~chapter 16~ trial

As Ryis entered the grand hall, a sense of unease washed over her. It felt as if every single person in the room had their gaze fixed on her, scrutinizing her every move. However, amidst the sea of onlookers, it was only Veamond Valaryon who truly understood the weight of Ryis's presence. He alone recognized the truth behind her claim to Driftmark, a truth that set her apart from all others in the hall.

A mischievous grin played on veamonds lips as Ryis did her best to avoid meeting his gaze. She could sense lukes nervousness standing next to him, so she made a conscious effort to be his pillar of support. "It's going to be fine, I promise," she reassured him with a serene smile, hoping to ease his anxiety. Despite her efforts, he still appeared visibly terrified, his eyes betraying his inner turmoil.

The tension in the room was palpable as the fate of Driftmark hung in the balance. Ryis exchanged a knowing glance with Luke, silently communicating their shared apprehension. Despite the facade of regality that Otto put on, the underlying sense of uncertainty could not be ignored. As the discussion unfolded, it became clear that the future of Drifark was at a crossroads, and the decisions made in that very moment would shape the course of history for the kingdom.

"It is a great hope of this court that lord Corlys survives his wounds, but we are here to discuss the grim task of the succession of driftmark" shouted Otto pretending he is the king as he sat on the throne.

" Lord Veamond Valaryan, we will now hear your petition" he bellowed.

"My queen, my lord hand, the history of our great houses date back to the days of old valyria" veamond bellowed.

"True velaryon blood courses through my veins" he continued.

"As it does in my son the offspring of Laenor velaryon" rhenerya interrupted.

"If you truly care about your house's blood ser veamond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir, no you only speak for yourself and your own ambition" she continued.

"You will have your time to make your own petition princess rhaenyra, do so and let ser veamond to have his petition heard" the queen spoke defensively.

Veamond turned smugly to look at rhenerya

"What do you know of valyrian blood princess?, I could cut my veins and show it to you,but you still wouldn't recognise it, salt water causes though my veins" spoke veamond

"If that is the case my lord I have a better claim to driftmark than anyone in this hall... you can petition for the throne all you like but sirens rule the seas so how can you take the throne without a sea's permission?" Ryis corrected.

Everyone in the hall started to whisper looking  at Ryis and veamond stared stupidly trying to think of a comeback.

"Princess Rhaenyra, you may speak now on behalf of your son Lucerys velaryon" spoke Otto.

Rhenerya stepped forward with her hand on her swollen belly.

"If I am to grace this fast with some answer I will start by reminding this court that nearly twenty years ago in this very Hal—" rhenerya was interrupted buy the sound of the doors opening

As the doors opened there was Viserys limping to his throne. He looked sickly, like he was Death's best friend, the man who used to help Ryis learn about her people and their histories. was knocking on death's door.

He nearly fell when he went to the stairs and his crown slipped off his head, he denied help from his knights but he couldn't from his brother.

Daemon helped his brother up the remaining stairs and plopped him down on his Thorne and placed the crown on his head.