Chapter 22 - send us

The sound of rain tapping against the windows filled the room as Ryis gazed out into the horizon, observing the beach. Her colony members were busy inspecting every corner of the chamber they were confined in, except for her sisters who seemed to be watching Ryis with a newfound curiosity in their eyes.

Jace and Luke lingered in the corner of the room, carefully examining the sirens while casting a fond gaze around the space. Their eyes danced with curiosity as they took in every detail, appreciating the beauty of the room.

Eloria finally approached Ryis and gently pulled her arm, turning her around with a slight hiss. As Ryis faced her, Eloria whispered, "You've changed " Ryis quickly pulled her sister's hand away, a look of concern in her eyes.

"I haven't," Ryis hissed, glaring at Eloria. Her other sisters quickly joined her, pulling Eloria back and scolding her for her actions. The tension in the room was palpable as Ryis stood her ground, clearly not backing down from the confrontation.

Ryis scanned the chambers, her eyes darting from one member of her colony to another. Her gaze then settled on Ama, who was observing Jace and Luke with a predatory intensity. It was as if she saw them as nothing more than potential prey, sizing them up with a calculating stare.

Ryis let out , menacing hiss directed at Ama, causing her to shift her gaze from Jace and Luke to Ryis. Reluctantly, she took a step back, clearly intimidated by Ryis's aggressive display.

Ama's eyes darted nervously between Ryis and the two men, unsure of what to do next. Ryis's presence seemed to have a powerful effect on her, making her feel uneasy and vulnerable in her presence.

As Ryis continued to glare at Ama, her eyes filled with a mixture of anger and dominance. Ama knew she had to tread carefully around her, as her unpredictable behaviour made her feel like she was walking on thin ice.

Jace's voice trembled slightly as he posed the question, his mind filled with a mix of fear and intrigue. "What was she doing?" he pondered, his eyes fixed on Ryis. Drawing closer, he extended his hand and rested it gently on her shoulder, hoping to find reassurance amidst the uncertainty. The room fell silent, as if holding its breath, as Jace awaited an answer that could potentially unravel the enigma before them.

"Soon, they will go hunt, or try to" she shared with him, her eyes filled with worry as she examined the parched, peeling skin of her colony. Jace gently reminded her, his touch grazing her shoulder, that they were unable to leave. As he gazed down at her, his eyes brimming with affection, he could feel the delicate fabric of her dress beneath his fingertips.

Jace's voice carried a note of worry as he spoke, his thumb soothingly tracing circles on Ryis' shoulder. "It's far too dangerous for them to even consider leaving, you know," he said, his gaze fixed on Ama. Ryis met his eyes, her own filled with a piercing intensity. "I understand that, but deep down, I know they will defy the odds and go despite what i tell them"

Ryis exhaled nervously, her gaze fixed on her youngest sister Eloria. As Eloria stepped into her teenage years, a wave of rebellion seemed to wash over her. Yet, amidst the defiance, Ryis held onto the unwavering belief in Eloria's true essence. She knew that beneath the surface, her sister's authentic self still shone brightly.

Eloria bowed her head in silence as her sister Ryis glanced over at her, then turned her attention to the window. Her slender fingers lightly brushed against the glass, tracing the path of raindrops as they raced down the pane.

In a moment of quiet contemplation, Eloria watched as Ryis lost herself in the gentle rhythm of the falling rain. The soft pitter-patter against the window created a soothing backdrop to their shared thoughts, each lost in their own world yet connected by the bond of sisterhood.