❣︎ T W E N T Y ~ N I N E ❣︎

*TW: MENTIONS OF SUICIDE*

I pick up the wooden frame with multiple photos flashing across the screen.

I smile when I see the most recent picture. Our last competition.

Kenji's arm was around my waist. I was laughing, likely at something my dad said behind the camera.

I'm just now realizing how love-struck Kenji looks. How his eyes match the smile on his lips. How he's looking at me.

The picture switches to a different one. This time it was our first sleepover. Dad loved Kenji. He really did. Does. He went above and beyond for that night.

In every picture that flashes across the screen, he has the same face. And after every picture, I realized how terrible of a job he did at hiding his feelings for me.

Turns out I was always the blind one.

I'm suddenly pulled out of my thoughts when I hear the ringing of my phone. I jump slightly but then rush over to the couch where it vibrates.

'What if it's mom?!'

I can't stop myself from hoping it's none other than the person I've been trying to reach for a week straight. I squint at the screen when it's not Mom's number.

I answer it with shaky fingers. "Hello?" I ask.

The line is quiet for a few seconds but then a deep voice runs through the speakers of my phone.

"Is this Miss Margot Jackson?" my heart begins to speed up. I don't know what I expect this man to say, but I know it's not going to be good.

I nod my head quickly even though the man can't see me. "Yes. Yes, I am, what's going on?" my voice and body become more and more precarious and unsteady.

"I'm very sorry to be giving this information, but you're mother, Luna Jeol? She was found deceased just a few days ago. My men are saying it was a planned overdose—" his voice fades out as I think about what my dad said.

'She left because she thought you hated her.'

This is my fault. All of this, all of it is my fault. I killed my mother!

So it wasn't by my hands but my words led my mother to commit suicide. And it's my fault. I told her I didn't want her in my life. I accused her of being an addict when she had finally gotten help. I ruined what could've been for her and Dad. And me.

I took away the one thing she wanted. A chance at being a family.

"Margot?! I bought you f—" My phone slips out of my hand and falls five feet to the ground. I hear the screen shatter beneath me but I couldn't care less.

My face is frozen in shock. In disappointment of myself. In regret.

I hear something crash to the floor before Kenji is standing in front of me, his hands on my arms and his face a bubble of worry.