Chapter 05 - Scrimmage

"Alright guys! Please gather around while we announce the starters for the first year's scrimmage!" The coach exclaimed as evryone quietened down.

"Our starting Point Guard will be....Hikigaya Ryouta. Our starting Shooting Guard....Mibuchi Reo. Our starting Small Forward will be.....Ogiwara Shigehiro. Our starting Power Forward will be....Hanazono Momoharu and finally our starting centre will be Masahiko Isame. Subs are..." He then listed the subs.

After a while of getting organised, The starting five for the first years stood in a line opposite to the substitutes for the Meikō Basketball Team, the only starter of the team who they faced was Kazama.

"Everyone. Please be respectful." Coach said as the players bowed.

"Please have a good game." All players stated as they quickly got into their positions with Isame standing against Meikō's sub centre, easily towering above the centre.

Isame was already the tallest player in Meikō.

The coach, acting as the referee, threw the ball up for a jump ball as Isame easily reached the ball and swatted it towards Hikigaya.

Said point guard caught the ball as everyone ran to their offensive positions.

Hikki bounced the ball, feeling the pressure of Meikō's substitute point guard, but it was nothing compared to Kazama's. The white haired boy swiftly performed two quick crossovers and got past the point guard.

He looked towards Hanazono, making the opposing team look towards the blond haired power forward, but as they did, they also noticed Mibuchi quickly shooting a three point shot?

'When did he get the ball?!' Was the thought going through the opposing team's heads as they could only watch the ball swish into the net, giving a 3 point lead to the first year starters.

The game resumed with the senior's possession of the ball. Kazama caught the pass from the point guard as he swiftly manoeuvred through the first years defense before slamming the ball down on his guard, easily scoring the dunk, and showing why he was the best small forward.

Ogiwara only watched as he saw the insane jumping power of his guard. "Shigehiro." Spoke a voice as he turned to see the serious face of Hikigaya. "Hai." Spoke the brown haired boy.

"Bite back. Use your instincts, like that of an animal." Spoke the boy as Ogiwara widened his eyes before nodding with a smile.

"Hai! Captain!" He exclaimed with a smile as Hikki smiled back before inbounding the ball to the small forward.

It was there that he was able to witness the immense skills Ogiwara had. He relied purely on instinct, as Hikki had advised, and by doing this, he was able to activate a small part of his Animal Instinct, unknown to anyone there.

As Ogiwara used his impressive speed and agility to bypass Kazama's defense, he swiftly passed the ball to Hanazono. Said blond smirked as he ran to the inside, like a blond blur.

He swiftly got past everyone there as he passed to Isame who caught the ball with a smirk.

Said giant then jumped high and slammed it down hard into the basket and the seniors could do nothing about it.

"Get back on defense." Spoke the calm voice of Hikigaya as his team complied. The ball was inbounded to the power forward on their team, who used his muscular build to push into the inside and shot a fadeaway jumper.

However.

A large hand suddenly obscured his vision as his shot bounced off the rim and was left up for grabs.