Chapter 19 - Meikō Basketball Activities

It had taken Hikki only two days to fully heal, which was remarkable. He himself was completely shocked by this, but he hadn't stayed focused on it too much.

After those two days, the boy immediately went back to school for practice before the match.

Luckily, the news of his hospitalisation had been private information which was only known in his family, who had told the school that Hikki was away for business reasons.

Due to the family's high status, they accepted it and that's what they told the first string of Meikō Basketball Club, Asuka Kirito in particular was worried at first, but after hearing the words from Hikki's father himself, her worries turned into anger.

'You have only a few days before the big game and you decide to go on a business trip? When I catch you Hikki, you'd better not try to run.'

As she walked with the basket of towels in her hands with her other two friends, she had heard her friends.

"You're so lucky to be Momoharu's childhood friend! He's so cutee! I want to date a man just like Momoharu." The girl on the right said as the girl on the left agreed.

While saying this, A few towels started falling, but before they could fall to the floor, a hand caught them all.

"Thank you for all the work you do for us. You really help us basketballers a lot with your work, so we really are thankful." Spoke the kind voice of the white haired boy known as Hikigaya Ryouta, next to him stood Mibuchi Reo.

The two were always seen together, their families were close, which led them to spending the most time together.

"A-Arigatō!" The girl stuttered while blushing as Hikki smiled kindly at her.

She almost fell to her knees as she caught the kind smile of the boy.

The two then walked off, conversing while giving proper greetings to Asuka Sasaki.

"Hello Sasaki-san." Spoke Mibuchi.

"Yo, Asuka-chan. Sorry I've been off for the past two days. I'm back now though. I heard you were upset about it." Spoke the friendly voice of Hikigaya as Asuka's anger immediately subsided as she saw the beautiful smile of her best friend.

As they walked off the two girls were star struck. It was as if Cupid had struck them both with arrows.

"Hikigaya-sama's so cute too." Spoke the girl on the left as the girl on the right agreed wholeheartedly.

Asuka simply sighed.

'Sama?!'

With Hikigaya-
As both Hikki and Mibuchi walked down the corridor to the gymnasium, Hikki had decided to tell his close friend of the real reason he was gone.

"Really?!" Exclaimed Mibuchi in shock as he heard the real reason.

"Shh. Not everyone needs to hear Reo." Spoke Hikki as Reo nodded with a sheepish look.

Hikigaya turned serious as he continued, "I also unlocked a new ability. I call it King's Eyes. I'll show you in the practice game what it does but, I'll show you what it looks like now."

As Hikki said this, Mibuchi widened his eyes.

"Be sure to tell no-one. I haven't told anyone about this, not even Sebas or my father." Spoke Hikki as Mibuchi gave his silent agreement.

The white haired boy then closed his eyes as he activated his King's Eyes.

Hikki then opened his eyelids as Mibuchi stared at Hikki's eyes in shock.

"What on earth..."

The black haired taller boy stated as he looked at the unique red, black and purple eye colour.

"Fascinating."

In The Gymnasium-

Upon arriving in the gymnasium, Hikki was warmly welcomed by the first string basketball club.

After the greetings, Hikki immediately started training with Momoharu, Ogiwara, Mibuchi and Masahiko.

While training, Mibuchi and Hikki talked together.

"Hikigaya. Are you going to tell the Captain Kazama about Ikari-kun?" Asked Mibuchi as he shot a three point, his face filled with sweat from the intense practice given to them by their Head Coach, Hiroshi.

"No. Not until we're in our second year. I believe in the second year, Ikari-kun will really start to progress.." Hikki stated as Mibuchi looked at the white haired boy, who was currently shooting his three pointers with a relaxed demeanour and a precise touch, making every shot sink.

'Hikigaya. He is the best I know at scouting talent. If it's the second year he says, then that means the second year is where Ikari-kun will really excel.' Mibuchi thought as he looked towards Ogiwara and Momoharu's one-on-one.

Seeing this, Mibuchi couldn't help but acknowledge Ogiwara's remarkable progress.

'It won't be long until Ogiwara joins us in terms of basketball talent. He has really improved significantly over the time we've been in the club.'

Practice continued for another hour before most people left to go home, however, Momoharu stayed late, intending to stay behind to get some extra practice in.

As the blond haired boy walked towards the unused gym with a bored expression, he heard the bouncing of a basketball Asuka had told him about.

'W-What?! Is there really a ghost?'

As he thought this, he entered the gym as the sound continued, but, as he looked, there was no-one...there?

The sound ceased as the boy widened his eyes and dropped to his knees while hiding his head.

"Please! Please! Please! If there is a ghost! Have mercy! Have mercy! Have mercy!!" Pleaded the boy as he heard a light voice.

"Momoharu-kun?"

The surprised voice asked as the said boy looked confused before turning around.

"Huh? Who the hell are you?" Came the question of the blond boy as he straightened up while looking at the orange haired short boy.

"Ah. I apologise. My name is Watanabe Ikari. I'm in Class 1-A," Ikari stated as he looked at the blond haired taller boy.

"1-A? You're in Hikki's class? How come I've never seen you around?" Momoharu asked.

"I am quite difficult to spot, Momoharu-kun." Ikari stated.

"Well, you have got a unique hair colour, it would be quite easy to spot that." Momoharu stated as Ikari began to walk towards the court, Momoharu following in tow.

"I don't mean it that way. I meant. I have quite a low presence, Momoharu-kun. So it's no surprise you may have found it difficult to spot me." Spoke Ikari as Momoharu nodded.

"What are you doing here?" The blond boy asked.

"Practicing, Momoharu-kun." Came the swift reply as Momoharu smirked.

"Hey! You stay late to practice too? Most of the guys in our first string don't even do that." Spoke Momoharu as he continued his thought process,

"I'm impressed."

"I appreciate you're praise, however don't take it the wrong way. I stay late to practice because I lack the natural talent that people like you possess. My way of becoming truly good at the sport of basketball is hard work."

Ikari stated.

"Let's play one-on-one, Momoharu-kun."

Spoke Ikari as Momoharu smirked. "Now you're talking my language."

–––

There's the first interaction between the shadow and light duo.

TBC