Chapter 5 - The Sorting

The train finally came to a halt at Hogsmeade Station. As Ron, Harry, and Iris stepped off the train, a booming voice echoed, "Firs' years, this way please!" Harry turned towards the voice and walked ahead. Iris noticed a towering man, easily seven feet tall, and heard Harry greet him with a casual "Hi Hagrid."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Iris," she said, offering a friendly smile.

Hagrid smiled warmly at her, replying, "Good to have ya here, Iris. Excitin', ain't it?"

"It is!" Iris agreed, marvelling at the giant of a man leading them toward a cluster of boats, each fitting around four people. She hopped into a boat alongside Harry, Ron, and a friendly boy named Dean Thomas.

As the boat set off across the dark waters, Iris couldn't help but feel the excitement building up within her. The Hogwarts castle loomed large and imposing in the distance, its towers outlined against the night sky. It was magnificent

"We're really here," Harry whispered, almost to himself.

"Yeah, it's pretty incredible," Iris agreed, eyes wide in awe as they glided closer to the towering structure that would soon become their home.

Their anticipation grew with every stroke of the oars against the water, and Iris couldn't suppress the smile on her face. Hogwarts awaited them, promising endless adventures and mysteries to uncover.

Upon reaching the grand entrance of the school, they ascended the broad stone steps. At the top stood a stern-looking woman, presumably a professor. As the students gathered around her, the professor spoke authoritatively, her voice carrying across the grounds.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Shortly, you'll pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before that, you must be sorted into your houses."

Iris listened intently, curious about this sorting process. Her father hadn't attended Hogwarts, so she was eager to experience this tradition she'd read about in Hogwarts: A History. The professor continued, explaining about the four houses "the houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin"

"Your house will be like your family. Your successes earn points; any rule-breaking will cost points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the House Cup."

Amidst the professor's words, a boy from the back suddenly rushed forward, exclaiming, "Trevor!" He hastily retrieved a toad before sheepishly apologising and disappearing back into the crowd.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," the professor announced before entering the grand doors, leaving the group of first-years on their own.

A boy with slicked-back platinum blonde hair sauntered toward the trio. "So, it's true then, Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," he declared, sparking murmurs among the surrounding crowd. The boy then introduced himself, "I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Iris's eyes widened at the revelation. Her father had previously mentioned the Malfoys, their beliefs, and their connection to her family. Narcissa Malfoy was her mother's sister, making Draco her cousin. The realisation made her frown deeply at the prospect of being related to this boy. While lost in her thoughts, she barely registered the conversation between Draco and Ron, snapping back to attention when she saw Draco extending his hand toward Harry.

"...you don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort," Draco sneered arrogantly. Iris rolled her eyes at his pompous demeanor, hoping Harry wouldn't accept the handshake. To her relief, Harry replied firmly, "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

Draco seemed about to say something more but halted abruptly as the professor returned.

"We are ready for you now, follow me," the professor beckoned as she led them through the grand doors. Iris was awestruck by the magnificent hall's charm—its ceiling mimicked the sky, just as she had read in Hogwarts: A History. She overheard Hermione explaining the enchantment to another girl and smiled to herself.