Chapter 12 - Christmas

Iris cherished her time back home. She eagerly shared her adventures at Hogwarts with her parents, recounting her Quidditch team involvement, the encounter with the troll, and the fascinating magical discoveries she'd made. She explained how her return to Potion lessons with Persephone offered comfort due to the discriminatory treatment Gryffindors received from the professor.

During her stay, Iris mustered the courage to broach the subject of becoming an Animagus. She expressed her desire to pursue this transformation and gave her advanced Transfiguration book to Persephone to read.

Persephone agreed to assist Iris but suggested delaying the process until summer. She emphasised the challenges of concealing a mandrake leaf in her mouth for a month and its legal implications at her age. Understanding the complexities, Iris agreed to postpone the endeavour until the summer holidays.

"Are you certain about this, Iris?" Persephone inquired, her concern evident.

"I am. I've been studying Animagi transformations and I believe I'm prepared," Iris affirmed confidently, displaying her determination.

"Very well then. We'll start our preparations in the summer. However, we must proceed cautiously, it's a complex undertaking," Persephone cautioned, emphasising the gravity of the task.

"Ok, thanks mom!" Iris concurred, fully aware of the gravity and intricacy of the process but excited nonetheless.

---

Christmas day was a unique occasion in Iris's household, as they observed the winter solstice on December 21st instead of the traditional December 25th. They commemorated this day with distinct customs, some deviating from ancient Greek traditions, especially those associated with Poseidon's feast. Instead, they gathered for a familial bonfire, sharing a festive meal to reflect on the passing year and welcome the new one. Mistletoe adorned their manor, symbolising the sun—a cherished representation absent in the underworld.

Hades, influenced by mortal Christmas customs, embraced the idea of gift-giving, a practice they upheld on the morning of Yule. Excitement brimming, Iris woke early, clutching presents for her parents, eager to start the day's festivities. Rushing to their room, she urged them awake to commence the day.

Descending to the living room, a cosy fire crackling in the hearth, they joyously exchanged gifts. Iris gleefully presented her offerings—wizards chess board for her father and a sneakoscope with self-correcting ink for her mother. Grateful for the thoughtful gifts, her parents reciprocated with presents of their own.

"Mom, why two rings?" Iris asked, puzzled by the pair her mother had given her.

"One day, you will find the flower to your skull, just like I did with your father," her mother replied with a gentle smile

"One day, you will find the flower to your skull, just like I did with your father," her mother replied with a gentle smile. "It's a promise of love, dear."

"I don't even know who I would give it to," Iris mumbled, looking slightly uncertain about the gesture but her mother just looked at her with a knowing glint in her eyes.