Chapter 8 - Practice

Harry and Iris walked alongside Wood onto the Quidditch pitch as he began explaining the rules. "Quidditch is easy enough to understand. Each team has 7 players. Three chasers, that's you, Carina. Two beaters, one keeper, and one seeker, that's you, Harry." Wood set down the case he had been carrying and opened it, taking out a ball from the centre and tossing it to Iris.

"There are three kinds of balls. That one's called the Quaffle. The Quaffle will be the centre of your attention, Carrie," Wood explained. Iris chuckled at the nickname but decided not to correct Wood. She found it somewhat tiresome having to explain to everyone that her name was Iris and actually didn't mind the nickname.

Wood continued, gesturing toward the three loops on the pitch. "Your aim is to get the Quaffle through one of those three loops," he explained. "The keeper, that's me, defends the hoops." Harry's curiosity was piqued as he pointed at the two moving balls, "What are those?" Iris echoed Harry's inquiry, saying, "Yeah, I'd like to know that too."

Oliver handed a bat to both Harry and Iris, leaving them somewhat puzzled. He released one of the balls, and it soared upwards before looping back towards them. Instinctively, Iris dodged to the side as the ball approached, while Harry swiftly batted it away. "Not bad," Wood remarked, and Iris thought he was addressing Harry. The ball circled back once more, and Oliver deftly caught it, securing it back in its chest.

"What was that?" Harry asked, puzzled by the flying ball.

Oliver responded, "Bludger. Nasty little buggers. But you're a seeker," pointing at Harry. He then unveiled a small crest, revealing a golf ball-sized golden ball. "The only thing I want you to worry about is this," he said, holding up the ball. Wings fluttered out of it, transforming it into the golden snitch. "It's wicked fast and impossible to see."

Harry received the ball, unsure of what to do. "What do I do with it?" he inquired.

"You catch it," Oliver answered firmly. "Before the other team's seeker. You catch this, and the game is over. We win, Potter."

The ball flew out of Harry's hand, and Oliver handed Iris and Harry brooms. "Harry, I want you to try and catch the snitch. Carrie, I want you to try and score as many goals as you can with me on defense," Oliver instructed.

The two first-years mounted their brooms. Harry ascended, seeking a vantage point to spot the elusive snitch. Oliver seized the Quaffle and launched it into the air before soaring towards the goalposts. Iris soared upward, snatching the Quaffle, and streaked toward the goal. With a swift spin, she propelled the Quaffle through the bottom left hoop using the back of her broom.

Oliver clapped, saying, "You're a natural at scoring. Let's work on your attack now." He passed the Quaffle back to Iris. "This time, you'll try to get close to the hoops and score while I act as the opposing team's chaser, trying to take the Quaffle from you."

They engaged in some back-and-forth, manoeuvring, dodging, and scoring whenever the opportunity arose. Iris discovered she truly enjoyed playing Quidditch and felt even more thrilled about being on the team than she had before.

As Iris moved to take the ball from Oliver again, he suddenly froze, gazing upwards. Iris followed his gaze to see Harry diving for the snitch. He caught it, and the two sped towards him. "Yes, Harry! That was amazing!" Iris called out. Oliver looked ecstatic. "We're definitely winning the House Cup this year with you two on the team," he said, beaming at them.

As they landed and left the pitch, Oliver was brimming with excitement, expressing how they'd finally beat Slytherin. Iris noticed Oliver hadn't shown any dislike or distrust toward her. She realised that, to him, nothing mattered more than winning, judging by his enthusiasm for Quidditch, and chuckled to herself.

A/N - this chapter is also really short, sorry. the next one will definitely be longer.