Chapter 18 - New Camper

The first week of summer holidays had passed with Iris in the Underworld, undergoing her Animagus transformation. Now, on her way to camp, she kept the mandrake leaf secured under her tongue, following Persephone's guidance. Despite the pouring rain, she continued her solitary journey towards camp, aware of her father's stressed demeanour about events unfolding on Olympus.

Suddenly, a loud yell echoed through the downpour: "MOM!" Recognizing that only half-bloods would be traversing this area and sensing trouble, Iris swiftly shrunk down her luggage and pocketed it, unsheathing her Stygian iron blade. She shadow travelled towards the commotion.

Emerging at the scene, she found Grover lying on the ground, a blond boy her age, standing before a charging minotaur with a sword in hand. It was evident the boy lacked combat skills, his stance betraying his uncertainty. Without hesitation, Iris intervened, placing herself between the boy and the monster.

Utilising her godly powers, she summoned a wall of stone to block the minotaur's attack, enabling her to engage in combat. Despite her efforts, the minotaur landed a blow, sending Iris flying backward to the ground. Witnessing the boy bravely charging at the monster, she intervened once more.

"Wait! Use this!" she shouted, hurling her sword toward the boy. Reacting swiftly, she wielded her wand and cast "Aresto momentum!" The spell slowed the minotaur as the boy impaled it with her sword. The creature disintegrated into dust, leaving behind only a single horn.

Iris strode over to the two boys, her sword being returned by the blonde. "Thank you," he muttered, an air of defeat despite their recent victory. Grover dashed up to them, almost out of breath. "Uh, hi, we haven't officially met. I'm Grover," he said, extending his hand. Iris took it, replying calmly, "I know who you are, Grover. You were Anna's protector."

Grover blushed slightly at the recognition from the powerful half-blood. Iris turned her attention to the blonde boy. "I'm Iris Lestrange, daughter of Hades," she introduced herself. When the boy stayed silent, Grover stepped in. "Um, this is Percy Jackson. I'm escorting him to camp," he explained.

"It killed my mom," Percy interjected. "She just turned into dust."

"Wait, what?" Iris exclaimed in surprise before adding, "Percy, humans don't just do that, not if they died.  She must have been sent somewhere, and I have a pretty good guess where that is."

Percy's face lit up with hope. "You mean she's still alive? We can get her back?"

"It's possible if she is where I think she is, but it won't be easy. For now, we need to get you to camp," Iris replied. "You won't be saving anyone if you're untrained, and even less if you're dead."

Percy nodded in understanding, and the three began walking towards camp. Iris picked up the discarded horn and handed it to Percy. "Here, you should have this," she said, noticing a cut on his head. "You're hurt. We should get you to the infirmary."

As Percy began feeling lightheaded and eventually fainted, Iris acted quickly. "Wingardium Leviosa," she cast wandlessly, lifting him above the ground as they made their way to camp. Upon their arrival, Chiron galloped towards them. "Iris, and you're with Percy," he acknowledged.

"You know him?" Iris asked.

"Yes, we have been watching him for a while," Chiron replied, as Chiron led them towards the infirmary, a sense of urgency in his stride.

Iris had been intermittently checking on Percy, especially because of Annabeth's keen interest in the new arrival. Annabeth had shared with Iris her dream about a child of the Big Three, believing it was Percy. Having had the dream after Iris's arrival, so Annabeth discounted Iris as a possibility. Two days after Percy's arrival, Iris headed to see how he was faring. On her way, she spotted him and Grover conversing with Mr. D—now this was bound to be intriguing, she thought to herself.