Chapter 9 - Halloween

It was Halloween, and everyone seemed excited. In Charms class, Iris sat near Harry, just behind Hermione and Ron. Professor Flitwick, a half-goblin, climbed atop a pile of books serving as his makeshift desk.

"Hello, everyone! Today, we're diving into the levitation charm," Flitwick announced, glancing around the room. "Got your feathers ready?" he asked, checking. Hermione held up hers to show the professor.

Despite not knowing each other for long, Iris and Hermione had become good friends. They often hung out in the dorms, talking about class and working on homework together.

(flashback)

The Gryffindor common room buzzed with activity as Hermione and Iris sat in a cozy corner, deeply engaged in their potions homework. Their task was to write a five-scroll essay on the effects and locations of bezoar. However, Iris found the workload frustrating, and her exasperation was evident as she huffed.

Hermione glanced at her friend. "What's wrong, Riri?" she inquired, using the nickname she had given Iris at the beginning of the year.

Iris sighed, feeling a mix of embarrassment and irritation. "How can I write a five-scroll essay if I can't even read the content?" she grumbled, bezoar was not something Persephone had gone over in their lessons, and Iris had not read that far as they were not meant to be learning this, this early in the year.

Perplexed, Hermione asked, "Can't read it? What do you mean?"

Realizing her slip, Iris hesitated. She didn't want to deceive Hermione but couldn't disclose the whole truth. "I'm dyslexic," she admitted reluctantly.

Hermione looked even more puzzled. "But I thought you loved reading?"

"I do," Iris responded. "My first language is Greek, so I translate books to Greek to make it easier. In English, though, it's almost impossible," she explained, skirting the full truth without lying.

Surprised, Hermione said, "I didn't know you were Greek."

"Yeah, my dad is Greek. My mom is English, but my dad raised me," Iris clarified, hoping Hermione would understand.

Hermione contemplated for a moment. "Why don't you translate the textbook to Greek, then?" she suggested.

Iris sighed, "You can't read Greek, 'Mione, and we're sharing a book."

Hermione, ever the supportive friend, rose from her seat. "Why didn't you say anything before, Riri? I'll just go get mine," she offered matter-of-factly, as though it was a simple gesture. To Iris, it meant much more than that. "You don't have to do that, 'Mione—" Iris began, but Hermione interjected firmly, "Of course, I do, you idiot. What's the point in having you struggle if the solution is so simple?"

Iris couldn't help but chuckle at Hermione's resolute demeanour as she watched her friend ascend the stairs to the girls' dormitory to retrieve her potions book.

(present time)

The professor's voice cut through Iris's wandering thoughts, bringing her attention back to the charms lesson at Hogwarts.

"Now, don't forget the wrist movement. Swish and flick. Everyone," the professor instructed, demonstrating the wand movement. The students eagerly took out their wands, mimicking the teacher's motions. "Swish and flick," they echoed in unison. "Oh, and enunciate," the professor added. "Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then."

Excitedly, the class set about practising the Levitation Charm. Iris muttered the incantation, and effortlessly, the feather in front of her rose into the air. She had already mastered this spell during her lessons at home, and now, with a wand in hand, it felt almost too simple.