Chapter 20 - The Quest

After Capture the Flag, Iris and Percy were summoned to the Big House to speak with Chiron and Mr. D. Chiron began the conversation, "For months now, Zeus and Poseidon have been in a dispute over the master bolt. It has been stolen."

Percy inquired, "Who stole it?" Mr. D answered cryptically, "One of you did." Both Percy and Iris looked bewildered. Percy responded, "What?"

Mr. D continued, "Zeus is seeking the thief. He sees two forbidden children—one claimed by his jealous brother, the other by his resentful one. It doesn't look good for you two."

Percy looked worried, stating, "I didn't do anything." Equally anxious, Iris added, "Neither did I."

Chiron intervened, "Of course, you didn't. But your fathers need your help. Zeus has given them an ultimatum. If the master bolt isn't returned in one week, there will be war. That is your quest. You must leave immediately."

Percy questioned, "Leave? Leave for where?" Chiron clarified, "Zeus rules Olympus, and Poseidon has always resented it. However, there is a third brother who deeply resents them both."

Iris was taken aback, exclaiming, "You can't seriously be suggesting my dad stole the bolt!" Chiron addressed her, "Iris, who else would provoke a war with Zeus?"

Iris reasoned, "He would never put me in harm's way like that." Percy also argued against the quest, refusing to go. Grover interrupted, stating, "Percy, you know that Sally is alive. Iris told you so. But she is with Hades... in the underworld."

Percy looked at Iris in shock. Iris addressed Chiron, "Why would my dad take Sally Jackson to the underworld if he didn't believe Percy had the bolt? If my dad had it, he would have no reason to lure Percy there. Someone else must have taken it."

Chiron responded calmly, "That may be so, Iris. But Zeus believes one of you is responsible, and if you don't return the bolt, war will commence, regardless of the true culprit."

Percy interjected with determination, "We'll do it. I want to get my mom back, and I'm sure you can help me, right, Iris?"

Iris regarded Percy before responding, "Very few can simply go to the underworld and then just leave. I can, but if you are coming, we'll need to take the long way in, and find you a way out."

Percy inquired, "How?"

Iris answered, "For that, we need to speak to the Oracle."

---

Iris watched as Percy entered the chamber to meet the oracle alone. She couldn't shake off her uneasiness about the oracle, finding the being unsettling. Percy, oblivious to her feelings, entered the chamber after a pat on the back and an encouraging thumbs-up from Iris.

Once the oracle confirmed their quest and instructed them to journey west, they descended for the selection ceremony. Surrounded by the camp's elite warriors, Iris leaned close to Percy, whispering in his ear, "Annabeth." She noticed Percy pondering her words, understanding that Annabeth, unbiased and mission-focused, would be the best choice for the quest.

As Percy uttered Annabeth's name, Iris witnessed the joy on her face. She knew how much Annabeth yearned for a quest; she would rather not go herself than embark on one without her best friend. Percy surprised her by expressing his want for Grover on the quest. Iris had anticipated his choice to be Luke, but she understood. She wanted to be accompanied by her best friend, so it made sense for Percy to seek the same familiarity in Grover.

---

Once Iris had completed her preparations and packed her essentials, she made her way to Thalia's tree. Approaching the site, she noticed Annabeth and Percy engaged in conversation with Grover, who seemed caught up in their discussion. Sensing the tension, Iris hurried over, aiming to diffuse the atmosphere.