Chapter 11 - Train

December had transformed Hogwarts into a winter wonderland, draped in snow and enveloped in a biting chill. On Iris's last day at Hogwarts, she began as she always did - curled up with Skia, enjoying the solitude and the warmth the cat brought each morning.

When Hermione finally stirred awake, Iris took a quick shower, donned her uniform, and layered a winter cloak over it.

Securing Skia in her crate, she and Hermione gathered their bags, ready to bid farewell

Securing Skia in her crate, she and Hermione gathered their bags, ready to bid farewell. The two headed down to the Great Hall to say their goodbyes to Harry and Ron, who were spending Christmas at Hogwarts this year.

Entering the Great Hall, they spotted the boys engrossed in a game of Wizard's Chess. Iris greeted them cheerfully, but Harry seemed more solemn. She wished she could bring him along but knew it wasn't feasible, given the complexities of having a mortal in either the underworld or Camp Half-Blood.

"Queen to E5," Ron announced, manoeuvring his piece to take out one of Harry's pawns. Iris found it fascinating, but Hermione shook her head, remarking, "That's totally barbaric."

"That's Wizard's Chess," Ron defended. Hermione noticed Ron hadn't packed, and he explained that his parents had altered their plans to visit his brother Charlie in Romania, who was studying dragons.

"Dragons? That's amazing! I wish i could meet a dragon, other than the one in Gringotts of course, poor thing" Iris exclaimed. The mention of dragons in Gringotts caught Harry off guard, "dragon?" iris was confused at his reaction "yeah didn't you see-"

Hermione interrupted and redirected the conversation, urging Ron and Harry to search the library for information on Nicholas Flamel.

"We've looked a hundred times!" Ron complained, to which Hermione whispered "not in the restricted section."

"Mione, you're suggesting they break the rules... Who are you, and what have you done with my best friend?" Iris joked, bewildered by Hermione's unexpected suggestion. However, Hermione defended her stance, explaining that some things were more crucial than rules, leaving the others puzzled.

Iris chuckled at the confusion. The two girls bid Ron and Harry farewell with warm hugs and wishes for a Merry Christmas before heading off to catch the train.

---

On the train, Iris and Hermione settled into an empty compartment, each engrossed in their books, enjoying the quiet camaraderie. Breaking the silence, Hermione looked up and addressed Iris, "Hey, Riri?"

"Yeah?" Iris responded, glancing up from her book.

"I've been meaning to ask you. When the troll attacked, you fought it with your knife. Where did you learn to fight like that?" Hermione inquired, curiosity etched on her face.

Iris paused for a moment, weighing her response. She decided to offer an explanation as close to the truth as she could. "My dad is a powerful figure. Some people know about him and try to harm him through me. So, my parents send me to a special camp for kids like me. It's where we learn to defend ourselves and feel safe."

Hermione appeared slightly taken aback. "I'm sorry. That sounds awful," she expressed sympathetically.

"It's not so bad, really. I actually have fun at camp and learn some incredible things," Iris responded, attempting to reassure Hermione.

Curiosity lingering, Hermione asked, "Is that where you're going now?"

"No, I'm heading home for the first week. But I'll be at camp for the second week. My parents prefer me there because I get to be around kids my age. At home, it's just me," Iris shared.

"You don't have siblings?" Hermione questioned.

"No, and you?" Iris reciprocated.

"Me neither," Hermione replied.

Returning to their books, the two spent the journey mostly in companionable silence, occasionally sharing thoughts about their readings or delving into discussions about each other's lives.

As the train halted at King's Cross Station, Hermione and Iris disembarked together. Hermione guided Iris over to where her parents stood. "Mom! Dad!" Hermione called out, embracing her parents warmly. She then turned to Iris and introduced her, "Riri, these are my parents. Mom, Dad, this is Iris."

Iris extended her hand, greeted Mr. Granger, and exchanged a handshake. Mrs. Granger, on the other hand, pulled Iris into a warm hug, expressing, "Oh, it's so wonderful to meet you. Hermione has told us all about you!"

Blushing slightly, Iris replied, "It's lovely to meet you too."

Soon after, Iris's parents approached. "Mom! Dad!" Iris called out, rushing to hug her own parents. Turning back to Hermione, she introduced, "Mione, Mr. and Mrs. Granger, these are my parents."

The Granger trio seemed taken aback by Iris's stunning and well-dressed parents. Iris gestured toward Hermione, introducing her as well. Persephone, Iris's mother, enveloped Hermione in a warm hug, expressing her pleasure at meeting her. "It's so good to meet you, Hermione!" she said warmly. "It's good to meet you too, ma'am," Hermione replied, to which Persephone insisted, "Oh, please call me Seph."

Following suit, Hades, Iris's father, also embraced Hermione, thanking her for taking care of his daughter. "We took care of each other, sir," Hermione replied with a smile, glancing at Iris, who reciprocated the smile. "Call me Haden, dear," Hades insisted warmly.

Relieved that her parents had chosen different name and were being friendly and welcoming, Iris bid goodbye to Hermione's family. Hermione shared one last goodbye with Iris, hugging her tightly. "Bye, Riri. I'll see you after the holidays," she said affectionately.

"Bye, Mione. Send your letters to me at camp, okay?" Iris replied knowingly, aware that an owl wouldn't know the way to the Underworld. With their families in tow, they departed.

A/N - sorry for the short chapter, next one will be much longer. just wanted to show the dynamics between iris and Hermione. wanted to show iris opening up a little even if she hasn't told her the truth yet. it is leading up to that.