Bonus Chapter (XXXVII)

~Monday, April 18th~

Alright, I'll come clean: Cameron and Olivia were never planning on going to the beach with us. They were in on it the whole time. Cameron thought it was ridiculous, "dude, she's going to say yes. You don't have to pretend like it's a group outing just to get her to agree," but I couldn't be too certain. A part of me can't let go of the first impression I gave Teresina, how rude and moody I used to be. And a lot of me wouldn't blame her if she still viewed me as the asshole I was acting like.

It's just for safe measure, or at least that's what I tell myself. And when I tell her that Cameron and Olivia are "backing out," she can still decide to back out too.

"I'm down if you are. Are you still picking me up at nine?" She says instead. I can't fully believe this plan worked. Or maybe Cameron was right, and she would have said yes anyway.

"Works for me. See you in a bit." I respond immediately.

"Alright Mel, just one more toy to bring to your aunt's house." I try to be firm, but the look Melody gives me as she hears my words reminds me that she is the one in charge here, not me.

Nevertheless, we're right on schedule when I ring Anne's doorbell. When the door opens Melody doesn't even glance at our aunt, squeezing past her legs and darting down the hall.

"Honey!" she squeals, and I get a glimpse of Honey, Anne's cream colored cat, scrambling away from the small child barreling towards him. Poor cat.

"Noah," Anne's loving voice brings my attention back to her, and she pulls me into a mandatory embrace. Not that I mind, in the slightest. "Good plans today? Looks like you're going to the beach, beautiful day for it. With Cameron? Other friends?" she asks when she pulls away, noting my swim trunks.

I contemplate my answer. It would be so easy to lie and say yes, with Cameron. To name any of the other guys on the football team, Anne wouldn't question it. But it just doesn't feel right to omit her like that.

"No, actually... with a girl." I watch pure excitement light up Anne's face, and almost regret my confession. Almost.

"A girl? Like, a girl... friend?"

"Not yet," I confess.

"Yet!" I'm pulled into another quick hug. "Oh, tell me about her!" Anne clasps her hands together in interest.

"Anne, I will," I glance at the time on my phone. "But I need to go pick her up now, so maybe after-"

"Oh! Go!" she exclaims, pushes me out of the doorway, and closes the front door in my face.

Anyone else might be offended, but I know this is how Anne expresses her love. Especially when it comes to me having a "typical teenage experience."

The light spring air feels like many things: hope, excitement, new beginnings. Like with the snow also melted away some aspects of the past. And now, there's room for anything.

That's how I feel when I see Teresina open her front door at the arrival of my Jeep in her driveway. Like maybe today could be the day that anything could happen.

I meet her halfway to the house with a soft, "hey." It's about all I can manage to say as I take in the sight of her today; she looks like new beginnings.

"Hey," she responds, a soft smile in her voice.

~~~~~

I think someone found my "reboot" button, and hit it. Or maybe it is the sight of Teresina peeling her t-shirt up and off, crumpling it into a ball and shoving it into her bag, then turning to glance at me.